| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Protein Powder  (Read 7004 times)

Offline Superman347

• Top 200 Poster!
Protein Powder
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:55:51 PM »
Hello all. Last year I donated a kidney. I'm feeling fine now but I'm a little out of shape so I have been hitting the gym. I'd like to take some protein powder to help build muscle but being that I only have the one kidney I'm not sure if it is safe. Can anyone give me some insight into this, it would be much appreciated!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Protein Powder
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:19:53 AM »
Dear Superman,
       Hi. I don't know all the details, but I have read that kidney donors should be careful about taking in too much protein, as it may be a strain for one kidney to handle a lot. I am not clear about whether that is just for animal protein or for vegetable protein as well, nor do I know what the muscle-building protein powder contains. So I would suggest you play it safe until you know for sure. Perhaps consult a nephrologist or dietician? Better to be safe than sorry in the meantime.
        Best wishes.
           Fr. Pat (donor, '02)

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:47:10 AM »
Definitely check with your doctor or, specifically, your transplant center/nephrologist as Fr. Pat suggested.  You may be able to use it, but they may want to give you specific instructions as to when and how. My husband was even given permission to use protein powder, but it's at half strength, only in conjunction with workouts, plus he religiously keeps a record of how much (g's)  actual protein he gets from food and protein supplements for an entire day. That way he knows he is not going over the allowable protein count for any given day. Be safe, and just remember the ads are usually glowing because they want to sell you something.  I am willing to bet you will get the same results from diet and hard work ;)  Good luck, and congratulations on taking your health under control! Have a great workout!                             
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline pilotjjc3

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:52:06 PM »
I had the same questions about protien shakes as well.  I started to ease into working out about 6 months after surgery.  I talked to my PCP, my surgeon, and my kidney doctor about protein shakes.  They all said protein shakes were OK in moderation.  I usually take one after I work out and never more than four in a week.  I have done this for the past six months and recently had my one year past donation kidney function test.  All were normal and showed no sign of excess protein in my system.  So far it has been good with me, but you still might want to check with your own doctors.  Good luck. 

Offline Superman347

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 02:15:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

pilotjjc3, I'm curious how many grams of protein are you taking in the post workout shakes? Like you I was only planning on 3-4 shakes a week right after a workout.

Offline pilotjjc3

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 01:49:57 PM »
The shakes I use are 24 grams per serving.  Enough to help with the lifting, but not too much.  I will never be in the running for MR Universe so this is good for me.  The most I do is 4 shakes in a week.

Offline Superman347

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »
Ok cool, the one I was using is 25 g per serving. Have you benefited from the shake at all, more than you would without it?

Offline pilotjjc3

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 03:47:21 PM »
I think I have benifited from the shakes.  Your muscles repair faster and they don't feel so fatigued for days after a good workout.  I'll keep using them when I work out.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional