| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Free health insuraunce for life for non-direct donors thru NKR?  (Read 5208 times)

Offline rdr321

• Top 50 poster!
  I went to my last appointment before donation. I was told by the coodinator that the NKR will contact me to give me free health insuraunce for life. I hope this is true. The economy wiped out my insuraunce 2 years ago. My surgery date is aug 15.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Free health insuraunce for life for non-direct donors thru NKR?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:14:27 PM »
Please post more details, we'd all like to know more.  Thanks!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:15:19 PM »
Here's a link to the press release announcing availability of the insurance. You'll want to contact them for details on the type of coverage provided. If you do, please share whatever you learn about the plan. Thanks!

http://www.kidneyregistry.org/pages/p118/DonorInsur_PR.php
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline livingdonor101

• Top 50 poster!
    • Living Donor 101
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 12:20:51 AM »
LODN is only catastrophic and only deals with issues related to the donation. It does, however, contain a provision for mental health treatment.
www.livingdonor101.com - Where Living Donors Matter Most.

Offline rdr321

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »
 Yes. I just got the paperwork  for the insuraunce. My wife will get rich if I die during surgery and one year of med insuraunce from complications steming from the donation. Also If I cant work due to complications I will get some money.
   The coordinator heard life and health and thought it was health insuraunce for life.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 02:18:15 PM »
This program has been out there. I had never heard of insurance for life. If you have complications from the surgery the recipient's insurance is responsible for the surgery and any complications from it. They should also follow up with you with blood work, urine, blood pressure and overall health at 6 months, 1 year and 2 years. This information should be recorded for research purposes to UNOS so they can see how donors are doing at least 2 years post donation. You will then be on your own for yearly check ups which is highly recommended once you have one kidney. You may have trouble getting health insurance post donation surgery. Some, but not many, have reported being denied health or life insurance after donation or have not been offered the preferred rate, especially if their creatinine has increased post donation. These are issues you should discuss with your coordinator, independent donor advocate and social worker. In my opinion, it is too risky for someone to have elective surgery without health insurance. Some facilities will not accept donors who do not have their own insurance in case of future health problems. With the change in the new laws, hopefully people will not be denied due to a preexisting condition, but it may become very expensive nonetheless.

Lots of research before donating. We have all been through it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional