| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 5564 times)

nakidra78

Introducing myself
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:38:12 AM »
Hello all!  My name is Tara. I'm an 33 year old wife and mother of 3 young children and as of July 18, 2011 a living kidney donor to my wonderful mom!!  I'm so proud to say that! 
We had our surgeries at Northwestern Memorial in Chicago.  We live in the Chicago burbs. 
I'm 3 and 1/2 weeks post op and still recovering.  I'm back at work this week, I'm an attorney, but it's been a bit of a struggle to stay awake and fully "with it" for the last couple of days!  I still have discomfort and look like I'm about 5 months pregnant! 
I'm a runner so it's been hard for me to slow down.  My doctor said that I could "briskly walk" so I've been doing that for the last couple of days.  It's almost like a really slow jog.  It hasn't been easy, but I'm getting back to myself, slowly....  I am wondering how long I'll have this abdominal swelling and discomfort...  I'm not worried, yet, but I will be if I still feel/look like this is a week or two. 
I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi to all.  I've been lurking ever since we decided to have the transplant ... this is a great group.
Tara 

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:55:11 AM »
Welcome to the club and wishing you a full recovery. As you now know, donation surgery is real surgery and your body needs time to heal. You did mention that your abdomen was bloated about 5 month pregnant look. You may want to call your transplant center just to make sure everything is healing properly. It could be just some post surgery swelling but you should not look 5 months pregnant. Sometimes a lymph vessel can get nicked during the surgery and fluid will leak so your transplant team may to know about this. As you see, many donors post here with all of their post op questions but the best thing to be sure is really to have your medical team answer your concerns. It could be nothing at all but always stay on the safe side.

Sounds like you are doing well back at work. Hope your Mom is well and your recovery goes smoothly.

Take care and keep us posted.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

nakidra78

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:08:25 PM »
Thank you.  I think that I will give them a call tomorrow. 

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »
Hi Tara!

I just wanted to say "WELCOME!!" to you and to congratulate you on your donation to your Mom! I am hoping you were able to get in touch with your transplant center and that you are feeling better. I also hope your Mom is doing well too. Please do keep us updated how you and your Mom are doing! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:22:57 PM »
I found that mentally it took me a little longer to get back into the practice of law than physically returning to the office.  I could shake hands and kiss babies, but had to take it slow getting back into the court room (My practice is focused only on domestic). 

I was still pretty swollen at 3 1/2 weeks.

My husband's kidney came from Northwestern!  I imagine his kidney shares your surgeon!
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

APV

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 12:41:30 PM »
Welcome!  I am amazed that you are already back at work.  I found that it took me about 4 weeks to feel like I could make it through a whole day without a nap (or at least a long period of rest).  It was hard slowing down, but at about 4 weeks I was feeling my full energy back. Getting back to running will take a little longer, but as long as you keep doing your brisk walking you should be fine.

Best wishes for you and your Mom.
Angelica

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
Tara,

Congratulations to both you and your mom.  What a very special person you are to be able to share such a special gift with your mother.  I wish you both continued recovery and well-being.  God Bless

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline stevewin@windstream.net

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Tara,welcome ,i am happy everthing is going  okay for you.everyone is different and our bodies respond differently.i keep a kidney notebook with my labs results,emails that are important and useful and a section of questions i want to ask my doctor and space for a answer. i also record bp readings and heart rate. being a runner/athlete is big  on your overall health .any thoughts,questions please ask. the only bad one is the one not ask!   steve

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 01:17:44 AM »
You have one kidney now...take care of it...the running can wait....your remaining kidney cannot...
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved