| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: First Annual Organ, Tissue and Eye 5K for Madison, Wi!!!!  (Read 4206 times)

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
First Annual Organ, Tissue and Eye 5K for Madison, Wi!!!!
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »
There were over 300 participants.  The weather was warm and humid, but that did not deter the runners.  It started at the Capital and ended at the Goodman Pool where we all were able to cool off with a two hour swim just for us.  How great was that!  My hubby and niece/recipient and I enjoyed the interaction with the other walkers.  There were several families walking in remembrance of a loved one who was a hero to many through donation.  Very touching.

Your name was called out as you passed the finish line, micro chips in your number.  You were handed a cold water, ice cream bars, snacks, a T-shirt, a tote bag, and blow up orange, Donate beach ball, for the pool.  Awards were handed out for the faster times in the different age groups.

The NKF was there of course and informed all that this would be an annual event held on the last Sat of July from now on.  So hope some of you can make it next year.  It is a scenic tour along Lake Monona.  Janice
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
Re: First Annual Organ, Tissue and Eye 5K for Madison, Wi!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »
Sounds like a great event and spectacular turn-out.  I would love to come and run it next year to support the cause (just need a reminder as it starts to get close).  I'm hoping our awareness raiser goes well next June for the half-marathon at Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN  Thanks for sharing the experience with us Janice and what an honor to be able to walk it with your recipient.  God Bless!

Scott    8)
Scott

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »
Thanks Scott.  We didn't make the news :-\, but this last weekend was a veloride for the same thing.  That did make the news thank goodness.  I am looking forward to participating next year in your area.  So keep tabs on us and on training schedules.  We love walking, we do 8-10 miles a day on some weekends.  We are planning on joining some kind of health club to stay in shape now that we have taken charge of our health.  Hubby has lost 30 lbs so far and I have lost 20.  So we are going in the right direction. 
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »
Impressive weight loss - well done!  If you haven't already, check out our facebook page;  Grandma's LDO Runners.  This is where we can all post and I'll keep people up on the event specifics.  Take care and Good health to you both my friend!  God Bless.

Scott   8)
Scott

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved