| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: CRASH  (Read 9593 times)

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
CRASH
« on: August 06, 2011, 10:11:44 PM »
Just found out my recipient was in surgery yesterday to have the donated kidney removed after a raging infection, significant elevation in Creatine levels (11.0) and some post-op complications he's been dealing with since the surgery last October.  Not certain what all I'm feeling - but it sucks!  Just needed to tell someone.   Scott :'(
Scott

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: CRASH
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 10:24:45 PM »
Scott, I am so sorry to hear about your recipient having to have your kidney removed.  I know that you heart has to be heavy because you wanted him to be able to live his life to the fullest.   Please know that I will be praying for him and for you, as I know that this is heartbreaking to you too.  Lot's of hug's coming your way Scott!  Lisa/Twinkie!!!!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 11:38:16 PM »
Dear Scott,
     Sorry to hear the bad news. Kidney donation has a good success rate, but there is always the danger of rejection, infection or somethiong else going wrong. We just have to do our best. Although I have not had the experience, the death of a donated organ is the death of part of the donor (even though that part was given away so generously and freely.) So although it is the recipient who now has the big health problem, it is indeed a special sadness for the donor, and something that there is not much experience in dealing with in human history.
              Fr. Pat

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 08:22:27 AM »
Oh Scott, it is just so sad, disappointing, and......well you fill in the blank there.  I went into donation knowing my kidney will be just a matter of time for my niece before failure,as she has AgI neuropothy.  Her first kidney lasted 9 years, pretty good really.  But, it will still be hard when that fails as well.  Again, so for the bad news for both of you.  Janice
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 09:30:59 AM »
Thanks all.  It's difficult, but dealing with it.  Just hoping Matt (recipient) is able to find a new donor.  Thanks for the encouraging words.

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:22:12 AM »
Oh, Scott.  My heart goes out to you.  And to Matt.

Fr. Pat said it all, really.  I just want to add that it doesn't diminish your gift by one iota, doesn't change your identity as Living Kidney Donor in any way. 

Love gives, not asking for anything in return.  You loved well, and continue to do so.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 01:57:33 PM »
So very sorry Scott!  Prayers to you and your friend. Maybe you can provide support in finding a new donor?
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 11:10:39 AM »
Oh, Scott!  I'm so sorry to hear this, for you both. Please update us on both of you soon. <3
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 02:14:05 PM »
Scott, I shed a few tears for you and your recipient when I read this.  I can't even begin to express how sorry I am to hear this.  Your courageous gift will still go so much further than you or anyone on this planet will be able to fathom right now.  Your kidney served your recipient for the time it was meant to, and I have to have faith that there is a higher purpose behind even this.  I'll be thinking of you and your recipient and praying that he gets another kidney very soon.  Hang in there Scott.

Much love,

Sarah
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 02:36:33 PM »
I don't know if this is *appropriate* or not, but would your friend at the news station be interested in knowing this? That's how you "found" Matt, correct? Maybe she'd be interested in updating the world on the status, and maybe there's another angel out there willing to step forward?
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »
Thanks all for your comments.  Thanks Sarah - I believe we each walk our own path, sometimes with others and other times alone.  I'm hoping to still be involved in helping look for another donor for Matt.  Nicki, thanks and I've actually been thinking of that, but I don't want to do anything without Matt and his family having input.  At this point, they have put me at a distance, which I completely understand.  I'll be there if and when they reach out.  At this point, I wait and think of ways to encourage others to step forward and consider Living Donation.  You're all great!  I knew this would be the first and probably only place I could turn to at this time to hear positive thoughts and wishes.  Thank you all for helping me feel more positive.  God Bless you all!

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »
Oh Scott - I am so sorry to hear about your recipient. Please know both he and you are in my prayers. God Bless. 

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 04:38:24 PM »
Dear Scott,
  I was very, very sad to hear about your recipient.
  At every step of this process, I was asked if I understood that a donated kidney doesn't always "make it" (actually, at the very very beginning of my process, I didn't really know that), and how I would take it if it happened.  I always answered, "Well, I would be very sad. But I'd know that I did the right thing, when the chance came up".
   The same applies to you, my friend.  It sounds as though you are pretty much "together" about this.  I hope Matt finds his solution, and that you can keep focusing on the fact that you did everything you could, but Someone else is really pulling the strings.
    Be well, Snoopy

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »
Thanks Snoopy;

I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around the whole thing, but I agree with you totally.  I recognize I don't have control over the ultimate success or failure of the transplant and I was only a small part of the overall equation.  I know my story hasn't ended either with the death of the organ.  I look forward to being a life-long advocate of living organ and tissue donation.  I would do it all over, had I another kidney to give.  My first kidney-versary is in October - then I plan on registering on the bone-marrow registry.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and words!  This site ROCKS!  Take care friend.  Much Love and well wishes.

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 03:29:23 PM »
Still thinking about you.
I'm pretty sure that there are still health issues with my recipient also, but I couldn't say for sure because they keep me shielded from it. There was a time when I was worried that the kidney was failing, and I was shocked by how I felt about it. Being aware then that I felt that way, I really began working on the idea that they keep me out of the loop because they love and care about me, and they must be concerned about how I might "take" that information. I know you already know that it's the same for Matt and his family.  The gift that you gave Matt kept him here and feeling better, at least for a little while, MUCH better than he had in a long time, right? Anyone who has lost a loved one will say that they would do anything to have had them here a little longer, but only if they were feeling good. There really are no words to describe the gift that you gave, and keep giving just by feeling as you do about living donation.  It's bigger than the world can hold, and I think that that is our lesson- all of us.  The gift isn't about the kidney working and functioning- and I DO understand that for the recipient that IS the gift, but the gift whose effects are NEVER EVER ENDING is in the giving itself.  All acts of kindness are beneficial to all of humankind, of course, but to just WANT TO GIVE AN ORGAN to someone who needs it- it's big. It's humorous to me right now how BIG it seems when I look at you and consider the gift that you gave. I did the same, but it felt like the normal thing to do, which I know it did for you also.
Anyway- your kidney may not be serving Matt anymore, but your gift is no where near done blessing people.
Hope you are continuing to do well. And I'm on hold with the pediatrician's office so if any of my words are all messed up, that's why. :) My heart is in what I'm typing (I'm screwed if they answer the phone right now, haha) but I'm not being nearly as careful as I normally am. :)
Love, Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional