| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: A new donor here!  (Read 5373 times)

famoran

A new donor here!
« on: August 09, 2011, 01:25:34 PM »
Last Thursday 8/4 I donated my kidney to my husband.  It was a long road to get there.  I lost 107 pounds before even going to be tested to see if I was a match.  Honestly, I never thought i would be.  When the coordinator walked into the room and told us we were I was so happy I almost passed out!  Of course all of you know of the extensive testing you go through, but while I was having all the testing my husband was having other issues that resulted in a blood transfusion and possible change of our compatability.  It was all very stressful.  Our transplate date went from July to September, and then the week before, to August 4th.

Now it is all over.  The transplant went beautifully. My kidney started working immediately for my husband.  I think the most amazing part of the whole journey, and I'd have to say the most amazing moment in my life was when I woke up the next morning and he was standing over my bed at 6 am..the day after his surgery.  The pain the next day was really bad, but each day it gets better.  I was able to come home on Sunday.  My husband gets to come home today.   

Without doubt, I can say this is the best thing I've ever done in my life.   There have been a couple of people who question why I would do this.  I tell thim that my husband deserves to live and that I deserve to have my husband around. 

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: A new donor here!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »
Congratulations! There are a number of members on here who also donated to their spouse, so you are in good company!
I too, had to lose weight to donate. While very frustrating, it was one of the best things I ever did for myself and I have managed to keep the weight off for the last 4 years. I know if I had not been forced into losing weight to donate, I would not have done it on my own. The whole situation with hubby and the donation really drives home how important it is to keep yourself healthy.
Congratulations again on both the weight loss and the donation! Take the time to savor and enjoy your recovery together. I always said that six week recovery time we spent together was one of the sweetest and most precious times of our married life!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »
Congratulations and what an incredible gift-of-life you have provided someone you love.  You truly are an Angel.  I donated last October and as time passes, it becomes more apparent to me that the reason for donation is not nearly as important as the donation itself.  I pray for you and your husband and for your continued health and healing.  Please keep us apprised as to how you are both doing.  God Bless you both.

Scott    8)
Scott

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 03:02:42 AM »
Congratulations to you both!
   Fr. Pat

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:15:19 AM »
Congratulations to you and your husband.  What a beautiful gift that you gave to your husband and one that you will always cherish.  It is awesome to hear the different stories that we have all been through to get that final approval to donate.  With that being said, that is truly awesome on your weight loss.  I pray that each day you and your husband will get stronger and you will be able to enjoy life to the fullest.

I too, just donated my kidney to my friend's father on June 9th and we both are doing great.  You have come to the right site for encouragement and advice.  Everyone on here are truly Angel's in so many ways and to be apart of this family is Priceless!  So welcome and feel free to ask away or even vent, you will always have someone that has been right where you are and can give you wonderful words of wisdom and advice and Prayer!!

God bless you and your husband... Lisa/Twinkie

APV

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »
Welcome!  You are amazing, losing over 100 pounds is an great accomplishment and becoming a donor is a great blessing.  I also donated a kidney to my husband and it feels amazing.  The next few weeks will be difficult for the two of you, but remember you must focus on you and your recovery for now.  Let other people help as much as possible! 

We are now 8 weeks post-op and we are both doing great.  Every day I get to see my husband get stronger and it fills me with joy.  Get lots of rest and let your body heal at its own pace. 

Angelica

Offline stevewin@windstream.net

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:14:12 PM »
congrats on your priceless gift.may your journey be long and happy on this new path you and your husband are on.   steve

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 03:22:40 PM »
Welcome and congratulations to both you and your Husband! I donated to my Husband October 2009. (almost 2 years ago already - where did the time go??) I also feel that other than having my 2 kids, this is the best and most rewarding thing I have done in my life, and without question would do it all over again. I have no regrets what so ever.  I am determined that I will have my husband around to grow old with me.

I too had some people ask me questions like "what if one of your kids need a kidney someday?" I explained it like this. Imagine I am in a boat with my Husband and kids, and we only have one life preserver. My husband falls overboard, am I going to stand there and think "Hmmmm. I don't know if I should give him the life preserver because one of my kids MIGHT fall overboard." The people asking these questions seemed to kind of get it when I explained it to them that way. (For the record, neither of my kids have kidney problems.) Don't get me wrong, this is something that one needs to think about and take in to consideration, but for me, it was a no brainer.

I am so happy to hear how well you and your Husband are doing so well. Your pain should continue to get better each day, and before you know it, you will be back to your normal self. Please continue to let us know how you and your Husband are doing - this board is such a great place for support and information.

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional