| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: question to donors about testing - specifically women  (Read 4147 times)

mxprincess

question to donors about testing - specifically women
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:38:42 AM »
What are the tests that all candidates have to go through? I know the women have to have a mammogram as well as a PAP test, but do you have to have that before they move on to any other testing? I would ask the coordinator, but like many others on this site, our coordinator is extremely rude and I would prefer not to talk to her at all. I would like to get those tests done so it's out of the way if that is the case.

Also how long was everyone's testing process before the actual surgery was scheduled?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:19:40 AM by mxprincess »

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: question to donors about testing - specifically women
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 10:27:08 AM »
Mammograms are required for women over 40 generally or a family history and a pap smear is required for all women. These are considered standard of care and are not covered by the recipient insurance since these are medical tests that you should be getting regardless of donating a kidney. You can have them done as you would routinely with your physician or ob/gyn and have the test results sent to your transplant center. All other testing related to the surgery is covered by the recipient insurance or medicare. Do not give out your insurance information.

Your nurse coordinator should be advocating for you and representing your needs. If you do not feel he/she is living up to that you may want to explore another hospital or at least speak with an administrator about switching to someone else. You are having real surgery and putting yourself into a situation with potential risks. If you were having a medically necessary surgery, I would hope you would choose a physician, surgeon and team who you trusted to answer your questions and make you feel comfortable. Nothing different about donation surgery. There should be a living donor advocate, not part of the medical team, you can ask to speak with them or with a patient advocate at the hospital. There should be no excuse for less than standard of care.

Where are you donating? Maybe someone on here has had experience at your hospital and can recommend someone else.

Hope you have a positive donation experience. Keep us posted.
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:33:08 AM »
I was 50, so I had a couple more tests.  I had complete blood work, a creatinine clearance (the 24-hr collection with a blood draw), a chest xray, a stress echocardiogram, a CT scan of my kidneys, a mammogram and a colonoscopy.  If I had any of the tests within one year, I did not have to repeat.  The only one I'd had was the mammogram and chest xray.

I think they would have done the creatinine clearance again anyway, even if it had been less than a year.  Also, if I'd had reason to have a CT scan of my kidneys because of symptoms, they probably would have repeated that one too.  I had the colonoscopy because I was over 50 and hadn't done it yet.

I did all my testing except the CT scan at home in California.  The transplant center in Chicago said I had to do the scan in their facility, and also meet the surgeon.  I was very fortunate -- my boss came up with a reason for me to make a quick business trip to Chicago and the company paid my expenses for that one.
audrey

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:49:34 PM »
I was 39 and a half (almost to the day) when I donated. I had never had a mammogram and did not have one before the surgery. I had not only had a pap but actually had a hysterctomy 5 months before I donated so I brought a copy of those records and gave them to the transplant center, so did not need to repeat the pap. Other than that, I had lots of bloodwork (Glucose, cholesterol, etc), the 24 urine test. a chest xray, EKG and CT Scan. I believe those are all standard for everyone. I hope this helps a bit!

Good luck to you!
Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional