| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: PA: Monica's Bill for Living Organ Donor Tax Deduction  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
PA: Monica's Bill for Living Organ Donor Tax Deduction
« on: March 28, 2014, 12:10:31 PM »
http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/2014/03/27/galloway-introduces-monicas-bill-for-living-organ-donor-tax-deduction-a-480577.html

Galloway Introduces Monica's Bill for Living Organ Donor Tax Deduction
The Pennsylvania State House Democratic Caucus issued the following news release on the behalf of Pennsylvania State Rep. John Galloway, D- Bucks, has introduced legislation that would provide for a personal state tax deduction for uncovered expenses incurred by a living organ donor during the organ donor process. Her part in the donating process required...

SHARE THIS:

Targeted News Service
HARRISBURG, Pa., March 26 -- The Pennsylvania State House Democratic Caucus issued the following news release on the behalf of Pennsylvania State Rep. John Galloway:

State Rep. John Galloway, D-Bucks, has introduced legislation that would provide for a personal state tax deduction for uncovered expenses incurred by a living organ donor during the organ donor process.

An organ donation recipient's insurance will pay the costs of the medical procedures required for the donor, but the other expenses are the responsibility of the donor.

The bill (H.B. 127 (http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/billinfo.cfm?syear=2013&sind=0&body=H&type=B&BN=0127)) was inspired by a family medical emergency which brought the need for the tax deduction to Galloway's attention.

"I am calling this bill Monica's Bill, in honor of my cousin, who donated a kidney to my 3-year-old nephew," Galloway said. "Monica was considered a good match for donating and she was happy to undergo the procedure. Her part in the donating process required two trips to California with hotel and other living expenses in California before and after the procedure and one month lost pay at her job. Her company may qualify for a tax deduction for allowing her the time off, but she receives no financial support for the prohibitive expenses she has incurred. It is a major imbalance that a business can earn tax deductions for allowing an employee the time to make the donation, but the person who shares their organ gets no opportunity to recoup their expenses. Fixing this oversight may well encourage more living donations.

"The most common living organ donations are for a single kidney or a section of a liver and also bone marrow. For more information regarding organ donation in general, I encourage constituents to visit the website www.donatelifepa.org."

The bill would cap the deduction at $10,000 per donation.

At least 10 other states have laws which provide some tax incentive for living donors.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional