| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Hepatologists ‘need to embrace’ living donor liver transplantation, expert says  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.healio.com/hepatology/transplantation/news/online/%7B960b6389-bc1b-4e24-926e-d541a22faa5d%7D/hepatologists-need-to-embrace-living-donor-liver-transplantation-expert-says

Hepatologists ‘need to embrace’ living donor liver transplantation, expert says

In the Thomas E. Starzl Transplant Surgery State-of-the-Art Lecture presented at The Liver Meeting, Jean C. Emond, MD, vice chair and chief of liver transplantation at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center, discussed the current challenges faced in the acceptance of living donor liver transplantation. These include donor risks, concerns about patient variances and, perhaps, most importantly, the infrequency of clinician acceptance.

“We need the hepatologists to embrace [living donor liver transplantation],” Emond said. “We all need the multi-disciplinary team to make this work and manage the risks.”

Living donor liver transplantation has saved tens of thousands of lives worldwide and is the only option for liver transplantation patients in many countries, according to Emond’s presentation.

Yet, among the success stories are also tales of the potential hazards clinicians encounter in practice, which include differing liver sizes, imperfect measurements, flawed technical execution and the ever-present concern for an increase in medical errors.

“[The consideration of] recipient risk is demoralizing, so we are always searching for certainty, but variance is where we have to be realistic and … the only way to overcome variance is repetition,” Emond said during his lecture. 

Emond stated that opposition to living donor liver transplantation is prevalent not only in hepatologists and surgeons, but also in the public. Still, he remained hopeful that, in the absence of other alternatives, technological and biological progress might overcome this opposition.

“I can’t say that living donor liver transplantation has achieved its promise in the US and Europe, even though I continue to believe it’s best for nearly every recipient candidate, but transplant teams aren’t quite ready for the most part,” Emond said. “I think we still remain complacent about wait-list mortality.

“I would contend that [living donor liver transplantation] will have a place until alternative donor sources are developed, which are not just around the corner,” Emond concluded. – by Melinda Stevens
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional