| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Patients in the South have shorter wait times for liver transplants  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news/new-orleans/patients-in-the-south-have-shorter-wait-times-for-liver-transplants/29701248

Patients in the South have shorter wait times for liver transplants
Wait times for a liver transplant varies partly based on address
By Sula Kim

[Video]

We're used to hearing about the problems we experience in the South -- lower rankings in terms of income, or education, for instance.

But get this, if you're in need of an organ transplant you may get that life-changing operation a lot faster because you live here.

MOBILE APP USERS: Watch Report Here

Susan Smith, 58, is one of those liver recipients who got a liver in less than three months.

"You know you came close to death and now you're alive so I go out and do little things like go to Mardi Gras parade," Smith said.

She is now living life to the fullest. But last year she was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver.

Smith was so ill, she retired from teaching and was placed on a liver transplant list at the end of October. By December she had a new liver and a second chance at life.

She might not have been as fortunate, had she lived on the West Coast or in the northeast part of the country. The wait there is longer sometimes, measured not in months but years.

A disparity in population and in death rates are part of the answer, but the biggest factor is there are simply more donors in the South, and livers stay in the region where they are donated.

"I think there are significant issues with variations with disparities in organ donation rate," said Dr. Nigel Girgrah of Ocshner Health System.

United Network for Organ Sharing, or UNOS, the nonprofit that manages the nation's organ transplant system, believes it's time for a change.

Under the current system the country is divided into 11 regions, but a UNOS committee thinks the map should be re-drawn reducing the regions from 11 to eight or even down to four.

Centers on the west and northeast could see a 40-50 percent increase in organ volume with a shift like this but for patients in Louisiana, the wait times would likely increase.

"I think it's reasonable to assume, although I don't have any strong data to support this, that yes, wait times could potentially go up for Louisiana residents waiting for a liver transplant," said Girgrah.

Girgrah thinks changing the boundaries may even affect cost-and the shelf life of a donated liver.

"What are the unintended consequences is there increase cost because livers have to fly greater distances the amount of time liver gets put on ice will more livers get discarded," said Girgrah.

It is estimated transporting organs longer distances could cost hospitals $30 million more each year, in total.

A group of concerned doctors including many from New Orleans recently sent a letter to the Health Resource Service Administration requesting more research before any changes are made.

But the doctors agree with UNOS that something needs to be done to address the unbalanced system.

On average about 1,500 people die each year while waiting for a liver transplant.
There are 15,600 people on the waiting list right now.

"We fully support attempts to increase organ donation rate and decrease geographical disparities. We just think they need to be studied a little closer," said Girgrah.

Had smith not received her liver so quickly, she doesn't think she would have survived. She's very grateful to live in the South but feels for people who have to wait longer.

"I didn't deserve a liver; I didn't earn it or anything like that. I would hate to live in an area where I could not get a liver or a kidney," said Smith.

Girgrah thinks maybe the committee should think of ways to encourage more people to donate organs. He said the goal is to save lives everywhere.

Right now-the concept model is one of several ideas being discussed and the committee is still waiting for more input.

There was a public forum in September, and another one will be scheduled for May of 2015.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved