| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Iodine treated water  (Read 4120 times)

Offline julian

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Julian Cook - Free Range Human
Iodine treated water
« on: May 27, 2012, 08:57:33 PM »
Hey folks!
I spent this weekend cycling a good deal on the C&O canal outside Washington DC. It's a demanding ride and once you're about 25 miles out from DC you'll find regular campgrounds with a water pump. The water it pumps has been treated with iodine, as is clear from the signs posted by the park service. The water has enough iodine that it's actually tinted when it comes out. I know that I'm not supposed to have iodine based dye used on me but I haven't seen any talk about iodine tinted water. I actually did have some because I was out and my own thinking is that it doesn't matter how you get it, your kidneys are going to get it at some point.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Julian
----
Free Range Human - http://juliancook.com

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Iodine treated water
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:08:44 AM »
That is a very good question.  We camp all the time, but we have a filter in our RV.  I don't even know if the iodine would be filtered out.  I have 2 thoughts, with no medical expertise to back it up.  First, that the iodine is not going directly into your bloodstream as would a contrast dye, and second that the relatively small, diluted amount you would drink on a 1-time excursion is most likely not a problem.  Also, if I were in your shoes, the threat of dehydration would be a priority to me and I would have drank it, too.  But, I'm curious to know what a nephrologist would have to say about this.  You should definitely call your transplant team to ask before your next trip.
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved