| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: spouses /family support  (Read 5065 times)

Offline lisamgoldberg

• Top 100 Poster!
spouses /family support
« on: June 03, 2011, 09:44:06 PM »
Hi Everyone,
My husband is looking for some people to chat with, as he is getting nervous about me possibly donating my kidney. Can he use this forum to chat or is there another website for spousal/family support out there? Thanks,
Lisa

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
Re: spouses /family support
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:20:01 PM »
Lisa,

My wife was not only surprised when she realized I was serious about donating to someone I'd never met, but she was flooded with a plethora of emotions and questions....what are the risks, how will OUR life change, what part does she play in all of this, she was feeling selfish for not feeling more supportive, how would this effect us economically, she was apprehensive about meeting our recipient and family and many more.  Please tell your husband, all he is feeling is normal and I would certainly be willing to talk to him any time he wants on this forum.  I'm willing to give him my phone number if he's rather speak in person. 

His support is probably one of the most important components to your ability to donate and to recover fully so it's important for him to process his feelings and to have his questions answered.  I hope all goes well for you my friend.

Scott :)
Scott

Offline lisamgoldberg

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:44:04 PM »
Scott,
Thanks for your email. Today we had some testing done and he came with me and he is now slowly changing his tune. He may seek out some professional help to deal with his anger not towards me but towards my brother, as my brother is match and may not be stepping forward because he is scared.
Thanks again Scott,
Lisa

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:25:35 PM »
You Rock for wanting to do this and tell your husband - he rocks for supporting you! 8)
Scott

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
No need to be angry towards your brother...
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 05:25:42 AM »
FEAR is a very real emotion.  If your brother is scared, he should NEVER be shamed/guilted into even considering doing this most important thing.

The LORD will take care of you....remember that...
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved