| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Across the board questions  (Read 3690 times)

Offline AylaW

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Across the board questions
« on: April 09, 2015, 08:41:38 PM »
Hi there!

I want to be a donor for a friend of mine, and the one thing that has been hindering progress (according to Emory hospital, Atlanta) is my weight. I've been working on losing weight for a couple years now, but I'm curious as to what would be the ideal weight they look for (so I wouldn't be "too small"). I know it's the risk factor for diabetes that concerns them when it comes to weight.

Also, losing weight by yourself is no fun. Is there another prospective donor (female) near Atlanta (south of) that would want to be buddies?

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Across the board questions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 01:59:40 PM »
Dear Ayla,

Each hospital will have a different cutoff point for weight.  If your BMI is under 30, I think most hospitals would be prepared to proceed with additional testing.  Between 30 and 35 - I think that varies.

Keep in mind the risk for hypertension and diabetes will increase again for a donor that regains weight lost to donate -- and they'll only have a single kidney.  It can be really hard to keep off weight after the motivation of donating is past, but it becomes even more important for our own future health. 

Love, elephant

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Across the board questions
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 05:48:33 PM »
I had to lose weight as well. At our center, they were looking at BMI.  The surgeon told me that not only were they concerned about the health risks of extra weight, but it also added complications to the surgery in obtaining the kidney. They recommended Weight Watchers, which was not a bad recommendation to follow. I actually ended up slightly over the BMI they wanted (30), but after the donor doctor examination, she said my weight was fine and I was eligible for donation.
It is a commitment and hard to lose the weight, but it will certainly be a long term benefit.
Best of luck!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional