| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Just lost my recipient...  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Valient Himself

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Just lost my recipient...
« on: November 19, 2013, 07:33:40 PM »
Donated my kidney to my father 5 years ago, May 14th, 2008.

He got food poisoning on Sept. 28th.  Went to hospital on the 29th.  Was admitted to ICU.  Got better.

In recovery unit, his nurses gave him insulin he didn't need, and too much pain medication.  He aspirated, and flatlined.  They brought his heart back, but not without brain damage.  I sat with him for 11 days back in ICU.  We lost him on Oct. 13th.

Luckily he was able to donate his eyes, the sac of fluid around his heart, and a lot of skin tissue to others.  We tried to redistribute his kidney as well as it was still working fine, but his blood went "septic" after he flatlined.

We did a lot of work spreading the word about donation over the last 5 years, with my father and my band.  I will not stop spreading the word, but I'm so bummed to have to lose him for a simple mistake after all of what we went through.

Anyway, just needed to share with someone.  I miss him terribly.  This seemed like a good place.

thank you
valient himself

Offline MrMike66

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Just lost my recipient...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 07:44:56 PM »
I am so sorry for the loss of your father.   What a tragedy.  Thank you and your father for getting the word out.  Im sure he was an incredible guy. 

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:15:40 PM »
How very. very sad.  I can't imagine what you have gone through.  I lost my dad two years ago after a long hospital ordeal.  We were exhausted.  You have my prayers. 

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »
He was very blessed to have a son like you.
\    Fr. Pat

Offline Nancy

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:20:28 PM »
Even in deep sorrow your family made the loving gift of donation.  Thank you and may you find comfort in your memories and the knowledge that his life continues to have purpose.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:35:18 AM »
Dear valient,

I'm sorry to hear you lost your dear father in such a shocking way. 
Together you helped ease suffering in the world, and those good works endure.   
Thanks for sharing your story.  And stay around here, I'm sure you have a lot to offer.

Love, elephant

Offline JustAPyper

• Top 100 Poster!
  • Paired Exchange Kidney Donor
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 03:48:02 PM »
Sorry to hear of your loss.  It seems to me he raised a good son.  I'm sure he is still proud of your decisions to help others with his loss.

Best wishes.
Paired Exchange Kidney Donor 11/13/2012

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 10:59:46 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss. In a way I suppose you're grieving double. The loss of your dad, but also your kidney (& recipient). I pray for peace & comfort for you and the rest of your family. Thank you for continuing to spread the word about donation. How wonderful that your dad, a recipient, was also able to be a donor. You are paying it forward in more ways than one.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline pkoke

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 02:58:07 PM »
Thank you for donating.  Because you did, he could when it was his time to donate.  You are a blessing.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 06:11:25 PM »
I am so sorry for your loss. It is very tough losing your father.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional