| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Caregiver Question  (Read 4155 times)

Offline sally

• Top 100 Poster!
Caregiver Question
« on: March 15, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »
I posted awhile back that I had been turned down as a donor due to results of glo-fil tests.  The first one was just a tad out of the required thresholds, so I tested again & that one was worse. I had talked to my coordinator, and it sounded like it was going to be a no go. She presented my info to the transplant team, then had me stay off of Advil/Motrin for a month, then I repeated the test for yet a third time, and passed with flying colors. Surgery was scheduled for Feb 19, but was delayed due to complications with the recipient. New date was March 26, but the doctor wanted him to wait 2 more weeks. My coordinator called to schedule, but the first available date is April 23. My post surgery care giver HAS to be out of town one week after my surgery. So I am wondering if I should wait til he is back, or will I be ok on my own after a week? I never has any kind of surgery before so I don't know what to expect. The recipient is kind of pushing for the earlier date as he now has to go to the hospital for dialysis 3 times a week, 4 hours at a time.  I understand from reading here that I need to keep my well being first.  Thanks for any advice & words of wisdom you can give.

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Caregiver Question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »
Go with your gut feeling on this, but in my experience, yes, you will be fine to be on your own one week after surgery. You will be tired, maybe a little sore, and shouldn't drive. But as long as you have all your supplies in (or can find another friend to make a run to the store for you), you will be pretty self-sufficient at at point.

So, while you don't want to feel like you are being rushed to set a date you aren't comfortable, I think this caregiver issue itself won't mean you can't accept this plan.

Best wishes!

Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »
I could have been on my own after a week but everyone heals differently.  I would say if you decide to proceed still have a backup plan just in case...
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
     I didn't need any help at home after leaving the hospital, but it would be good to let some friends/neighbors/church or synagogue members etc. know and have them "on call" in case you need anything. Have ready-to-eat and microwave foods available and get your shopping/laundry etc. done ahead of time.
     It is good to also keep in mind that while most donors have an uneventful recovery SOME donors do suffer complications, sometimes making a return visit to the hospital necessary. So it is prudent to have helpers lined up IF the need arises. You will probably find that there are a lot of people who would be happy to be on stand-by for help once they know the need.
   best wishes,
     Fr. Pat

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 06:30:44 PM »
I agree with the others.  You need someone as a backup that can/will drive if you NEED it.  I was told that mom and I each need "our own person" after surgery, I'm not sure how long.  For our solution, my best friend is planning to come to the hospital and possibly stay at mom's with me until I am functional.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved