| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: dumb question but  (Read 5743 times)

dlpisgiving

dumb question but
« on: July 22, 2011, 09:28:05 AM »
did any of you donors get a rash afterwards? I'm trying to figure out if this huge rash is related to donation or....just a rash...LOL

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: dumb question but
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 11:43:15 AM »
You may be having an allergic reaction to something. Certainly call the follow up nurse or donor clinic. Is the rash around any of your incisions or is it somewhere else? You may be allergic to the tape or a medication that was given. Keep us posted. And yes there have been posts on here about rashes so it is not a "dumb" question.

Take care
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:19:23 PM »
Huge rash? That sounds ominous. I think I would call and describe it to the transplant nurse, or check with your own primary care doc.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

dlpisgiving

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:18:23 PM »
Thanks...I put a call in.

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 07:53:13 PM »
My chest broke out and I had a minor rash from a lead that had been left on for a day.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 07:55:29 PM »
Not a dumb question at all! I also had quite the rash after my surgery. Mine appeared about a day and a half after my surgery. It started near the incision. It spread up to the left side my stomach and eventually all the way up to my chest. They sent me home with a Prednisone pack and RX cream. It would appear to be going away but every time the Prednisone was reduced, it would come start coming back. I went through 3 Prednisone packs until my regular doctor ended up prescribing me a very high dose of prednisone for 10 days. I also went to a dermatologist and they biopsied it. It came back as "Contact Dermatits of unknown origin." Not very helpful. The 10 day dose of the strong prednisone finally did the trick.

No one knew exactly what caused mine. My coordinator did tell me that I was the third patient in as many months to have that happen. The other 2 patients were also female, but their rashes spread more towards their legs, and theirs both went away after one round of a Prednisone pack. The hospital tried to pinpoint a cause but could not. They said each of us had a different surgical team. The only thing they could find that we had in common was that we all had the same coordinator.

I am glad you put a call in to ask about it. Most likely it is from something you are allergic to. Best of luck to you in getting rid of it quickly. I remember how miserable I thought mine got and was very happy to finally get rid of it! :) Please let us know what you find out.

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline DPatrick

• My first post!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »
did any of you donors get a rash afterwards? I'm trying to figure out if this huge rash is related to donation or....just a rash...LOL

I had a big rash that came on less than 2 weeks after surgery.  The rash started up right after I stopped having low grade fevers.  The itching drove me crazy for about a week but it gradually went away.  I figure my resistance was low from the surgery and the fevers that followed it.  But everybody's different.  Call the center and let them know about the rash.  They may be able to help.

Offline smudge

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 07:36:42 AM »
Yep, i had some contact dermatitis from the dressings.  Took dressings off and used 1% hydrocortisone cream for 3-4 days and it cleared up fine.  Rash looked like lots of little red spots/blisters and was very itchy.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional