| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 15 Years of LDO  (Read 4843 times)

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
15 Years of LDO
« on: September 07, 2015, 10:54:34 PM »
On Labor Day 2000, Living Donors Online first appeared on the Internet. Over those 15 years, many things have changed--we added Living Donor Buddies and the Living Donor Hall of Fame, shared living donor stories, and posted innumerable living donation news items. We asked questions, offered answers, and gave support to donors, family members, recipients, medical professionals, and academics. We've had our share of controversy and conflict. We've played a role in uniting potential donors and recipients. And we've attempted to keep pace with technological change by adding a Facebook group page, Twitter account, and LinkedIn group. Collectively we have accomplished a lot.

Yet, it is surprising to note how much hasn't changed. We still struggle for adequate recognition in the transplantation community, seek more medical research on the consequences of donation, get frustrated with the lack of progress in informed consent, and get angry at the indifference of the health care community to donors who have been injured--physically and emotionally--by donation. There is still much to do, and we continue to do so as a 100% volunteer force.

In celebrating our 15th anniversary, I want to recognize several people for their contributions over the years to LDO and our mission of improving the living donation experience: John Hodges, Karol Franks, Fr Pat Sullivan, Cristy Wright, Donna Luebke, Tom Falsey, and Dr Bill Freeman, and the many regular posters on the LDO message board. Thank you for supporting living donors and seeking positive change for all of us.

Happy anniversary, LDO!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: 15 Years of LDO
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 01:28:12 AM »
Great work! Happy Anniversary!
   Fr. Pat

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 04:41:57 AM »
 :) There's been a great deal of valuable information here, and some wonderful friendships too!
Thank you for giving us this gift Michael!
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 07:01:36 AM »
What a wonderful group of supporters and advocates for living donors. My experience as a living donor was the impetus for me to change health care careers to help support patients and their families as they undergo a medical crisis. Thank you to all of you who have encouraged me along the way. Hope we can keep educating, supporting and advocating for all living donors and their families and friends.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 04:09:17 PM »
Thank you for creating the website, Michael!  I always remember the site and the people as a great source of comfort and support throughout a stressful and unknown process. It is definitely appreciated that you continue and enhance this website!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline poodles

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 08:03:15 PM »
Thank you Michael! All of your efforts are very much appreciated.

When I first discovered your site I spent hours reading back through posts and following links. The depth of information and advice was and still is a huge source of comfort.

You have spent countless hours and unknown funds on getting Living Donors running smoothly and keeping it relevant.

Thank you!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional