| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Home health aide support after donation  (Read 5099 times)

Offline ilanas

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Home health aide support after donation
« on: August 27, 2015, 02:00:27 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for home health aide support for ~1 week after donation in the Albany, NY area. I am scheduled to donate this Monday (August 31), and the home health agency who committed to providing services several weeks ago called me this morning to tell me they cannot help. I am now scrambling.

I will NOT need any nursing care. I will probably ONLY need help ambulating around the apartment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Home health aide support after donation
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:43:02 PM »
Dear ilanas,

I hope you and your recipient have a great result on Monday!

Remember the hospital will not kick you out, you will stay until you are fit to go home or to be released into a rehab or nursing facility.  When you are in the hospital, ask to talk to the social worker.  Their job is to help manage issues with patients before release.

I was able to walk and basically care for myself by the second day after surgery.  But for sure I couldn't drive or do housework for a while.  I have a friend who cleans houses, and I hired her to come once a week for the first two weeks.  If you need a person around, why would it need to be a home health aide?  Do you know anyone with college or high school kids who you might hire for a couple of days before school starts?  Or people from a civic or church group? 

Love, elephant

Offline ilanas

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 04:02:11 PM »
The challenge is that I am donating not where I live, so we have very limited community resources. I'll be fine once I'm home, but it'll be ~2 weeks before I'm cleared to fly.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »
     Most donors are able to walk around, do stairs, shower and mostly look after themselves after release from the hospital. Have plenty of prepared or easily heated foods available (or the phone numbers of places that will deliver) and enough clean laundry and you will probably do O.K. without help. You will have restrictions on how much you can lift for a week or two, so take that into account. Be sure to get clear instructions from the hospital about exactly what you should do and exactly who you should call IF you have any complications and have to go back to the hospital.
    best wishes,
       Fr. Pat

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 06:27:55 PM »
I too had no difficulty getting around after donation. I was discharged 24 hours after surgery and back up at the hospital visiting my recipient the day after that.  It was nice to have food prepared for me in the first few days, but I could have done it myself.

Most likely, the hospital can hook up with whatever services you need.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 04:27:50 PM »
Have you found what you were looking for, ilanas? Have you considered local faith communities, if you're a member of a related one? Just a thought if you're still trying to find a minder. Take care.

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional