| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Ruled out as a donor. Disappointed and angry.  (Read 6613 times)

Offline sally

• Top 100 Poster!
Ruled out as a donor. Disappointed and angry.
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »
My grandfather lost both kidneys due to kidney diseaase.  When I was a teenager, I spent time with him during summer vacation and went along to dialysis appointments.  He refused to be placed on the waiting list or to have family members get tested for live donation.  Although he was onl in his 50's when he lost the 2nd kidney, he said that he was an old man and lived his life and that kidney should go to someone who could put it to better use.  He passed away in 1988.
A couple of years ago, a friend lost both kidneys and had to begin dialysis.  I thought what better way to honor my grandfather's memory, than to help out a friend in this way.  Once my friend was cleared, i began the testing process.  Everything started out great.  We both have the same blood type.  My transplant coordinator was so excited with the results of the tissue cross match.  She said the match was so good...unheard of matching for 2 people that are not related.  All the othe tests went well...until the kidney function glofil test. 
After the first test, the results were borderline...just a little bit under the desired threshold.  So my coordinator asked me to repeat the test, after hydrating for 2 days this time instead of one.  Well, the results came back this time worse than the first time.  The coordinator was really surprised considering how well I did with the other tests.  I'm 41 years old and my overall health is pretty good.  So she started asking me about drug use...specifically ibuprofin.  Well a few years ago I was having some pretty intense pain from an injury I received at work.  I took LARGE amounts of motrin several times a day for a period of many months.  Where the anger comes in, is this was all prescribed by a DOCTOR, and no one EVER told me that it might cause problems in my kidneys.  Same thing when I sprained my ankle earlier in the yar.  Take Motrin and lots of it! I thought the only danger was ulcers but all you had to do to prevent it is eat something before taking the pills.  Wow.  This just seems so wrong that they don't tell you the full health risks of medication.  So disappointed by all of this. 

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Ruled out as a donor. Disappointed and angry.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »
Dear sally,

I'm sorry to hear that you could not be cleared as a donor.  At the same time, I'm glad to know that your medical team is protecting your health, which should be their #1 priority.  I'm sure that your loving offer will be a comfort to your friend despite this disappointment.

Love, elephant

Offline Donna Luebke

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner/kidney donor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 08:37:56 AM »
Sally,

Would not accept that Motrin may be the only culprit.  Be sure to followup with your own care providers to be sure is not something else.  It is well-known that NSAIDs of any kind are not good for anyone if taken for long periods of time.  Higher doses like 600 or 800 mg are usually for short periods.  Do not blame yourself.  Get answers beyond Motrin. Take copies of your test results to your doctors.  Your kidney function may be OK for you with two kidneys but not one. 

Donna
Kidney donor, 1994    Independent donor advocate
MSN,  Adult Nurse Practitioner
2003-2006:  OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors, Ad Hoc Living Donor Committee, Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organs Committee, OPTN Working Group 2 on Living Donation
2006-2012:  Lifebanc Board of Directors

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »
My coordinator at Wake Forest Baptist explained that petite women often only have 80% renal function and are unable to donate.  They likely will never have renal issues, but do not have enough function to donate.  That might not be your issue, but is something to consider. 

Your recipient understands. You can help out with house work, child care or meals after the transplant.  That still means a lot.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 11:41:50 PM »
Sally,

I am so very sorry that you were not cleared to donate. As others have said though, I am very glad they were looking out for you in in order for you to remain healthy. I also would follow up with your primary care doctor as well, just to make sure there is not anything else going on.

I can only imagine how disappointing this is for you, but please know how wonderful of a person you are for even being willing to get tested to donate to your friend. That was very generous and courageous of you, and speaks highly of your character and the kind of person you are.

Hugs and best wishes to you.

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline klsvobod

• My first post!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 12:32:39 PM »
I had a similar situation. I was a compatible donor for my husband until I had my kidneys tested and showed only a 72% of function. I have been tested twice and it did increase to 76% but 80% is the minium they would take to be a donor. I'm extremely sad and disappointed. I am 52 years old and in good health.  :'(

Offline Donna Luebke

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner/kidney donor
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »
A word of caution to all. It is not just MOTRIN but all the NSAIDs that are bad for us.  One and two kidney folks alike.  I have osteoarthritis which unfortunately of late is in my hands, knees, back, and right hip.  The rheumatologist said ALEVE in moderation.  Hard to find a safe drug that works for pain and inflammation. 
Donna
Kidney donor, 1994    Independent donor advocate
MSN,  Adult Nurse Practitioner
2003-2006:  OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors, Ad Hoc Living Donor Committee, Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organs Committee, OPTN Working Group 2 on Living Donation
2006-2012:  Lifebanc Board of Directors

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional