| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Lots of Questions  (Read 3744 times)

Offline kelseygwynne

• Conversationalist
Lots of Questions
« on: May 11, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »
Hello!

I am a 23 year old potential donor from West Virginia. I have wanted to be a donor since I was in middle school, but have faced significant backlash from my mom. I have always just assumed I would be a kidney donor because it is so common, but my mom does not want me to because you know "what if your other kidney goes bad later and you don't have a replacement" etc. etc. She told me she would feel much better were I to donate a part of my liver. From research though, I have seen that liver donation is harder to recover from and much rarer. Has anyone had any experience with liver donation??

Thank you!

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Lots of Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 07:38:13 AM »
Dear Kelsey,

Liver donation statistics show a much higher rate of complications than kidney donation. 
If your 'other' kidney had kidney disease, probably they both would have anyway.  The purpose of the extensive testing prior to donation is to rule out, as best as possible, donors who have potential kidney disease. 
While you are making up your mind, you could make sure you register with your state DMV as a donor.  And encourage your friends to do the same.  That is a way to make a real difference! 

Love, elephant

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »
What elephant said: If you get kidney disease later in life, it will most likely affect both of your kidneys anyway.

I did a ton of research before my donation and concluded that it was much more risky to drive my car every day than to donate my kidney. Long-term studies indicate kidney donors are healthier than the general population, maybe because they had to be to donate and maybe because they take more care with their health after donation.

In the end, you are an adult and should do what you feel is best for YOU. 

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 03:26:38 PM »
Dear kelseygwynne,
  To add to what others have said, I would underscore that donating part of a liver is, overall, a much bigger deal than a kidney.  Because a liver can regenerate a missing piece, some people view it as the safer organ to donate, but the state of the art is in some ways less advanced than it is for kidney donation, and the risks of the surgery and the aftermath are higher than they are for kidney donation.
  Whatever you decide, good luck with your decision.
    Be well, Snoopy

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved