| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Question about donor testing  (Read 4604 times)

kjenkins

Question about donor testing
« on: October 15, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
A few days ago I agreed to undergo some testing to see if I'm a suitable donor for a family member who needs a kidney. I have some concerns about the procedure. Can someone tell me if a urinary catheter is required? Honestly, I'm really concerned about this. I know it seems strange that I would be ok with having my kidney removed but apprehensive about a catheter but I've got a serious phobia about it. I tolerate needles ok but tubes scare the bejebus out of me.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Question about donor testing
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 03:49:11 PM »
You will wake up from the surgery with a catheter. It is inserted while you are still under. Mine was in for a day, and they used that to measure the urine output so they were assured everything was working appropriately. It didn't bother me (heck, that was the least of the things going on the first day!) and they did take it out the second day.
Don't sweat it - believe me, a lot of phobias have gone by the wayside for me after walking down a hallway with my rear end hanging out the gown!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 03:54:16 PM »
I was worried about the catheter too, but in all honesty, I actually liked it! There is no way I was ready to get out of bed to go to the bathroom the first day. It was convenient and didn't hurt one bit when they removed it the next day.

Offline Channy

• My first post!
    • Channy's Liver
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »
Hey Ken...

Every transplant program is different. In some smaller hospitals, not only is a urinary catheter required, they make YOU put it in yourself! Most of the larger centers will do this for you once you're under, just pray you don't have some beastly, man-hating nurse jamming it in you....while you're still awake! The last thing you need is some ex-olympic Russian weightlifter with rough, 'wheat-farmer' hands manhandling your catheter into place! Also, make sure they use the newer flexible catheters as well, the old ones are metal, they rust easily, they're rigid and have sharp barbs on them to hold them in place.

Just kidding. In all honesty, I had the same concerns and scary thoughts concerning catheters before my donations as you do.  You can relax though, they put it in while you're out. You'll wake up with it attached to you and frankly....it not only looks pretty cool, it takes the hassle and strain of peeing away for you! (Ain't nobody got time for that!) Made me feel like a super-hero! During my first night of semi-awareness, I was the invincible 'Pee-Man"! I even took pictures of it! The next morning when they took it out, I was barely conscious of the fact they were removing it..it just felt weird...but no pain at all! Trust me, the catheter is   the least of your concerns. You're doing a very noble and generous thing here!

Be well...
Chandler

Offline hawkeye

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:50:01 AM »
I agree with everything everybody has said so far.  Catheter put in while sleeping, and when they pull it out, it just feels weird.  I wouldn't describe it as pain. However, I have one experience to share regarding the catheter...

I was so relieved after they removed my catheter because I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.  However, over the next day, I had yet to pee and the nurse told me that she would have to put the catheter back in if I didn't make a tinkle within a short time.  Scared and furious, I stood up out bed with my big plastic pee jar and started to try harder than ever to pee.  A few minutes later while I was still trying to go, she came back in ready to reinsert the catheter.  But after seeing the evil in my eyes, she slowly backed out and told me she would give me a few more minutes.  Nothing was cooperating and it just didn't feel possible. But I prayed and concentrated harder than I ever did on any college exam... and finally I peed, through sheer willpower.  I was so relieved until I saw that the pee was reaching the top of jar.  I had unleashed the dam and couldn't stop it!  Luckily, I stopped right as it filled to the brim.

I sat back down in bed, put the full pee jar on the table next to me and started reading a book.  The nurse came back in and without taking my eyes off the book, I cheerily said, "There you go!" while pointing to the jug.

Offline That guy

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:30:53 AM »
They put it in when you're under.  Having it in wasn't terrible. It wasnt great, but is sure beat having to get up and pee.  It wasn't bad when they took it out, either.  It was uncomfortable, but not painful.  Surgery is the only time you'll have a catheter inserted.  They don't do it during any of the tests.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional