| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Canada: Giving the gift of life: Donor aunt becomes living donor  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Giving+gift+life/5521524/story.html

Giving the gift of life

After Regan Slater died and his family donated his organs they had no idea what effect he would have on his aunt Debbie Pemberton. She decided years later to donate one of her own kidneys

By Kim Pemberton

Five years after his death, Regan is being credited with helping save a sixth life, this time in his hometown of Victoria.

My other sister, Debbie Pemberton, had read the thank you letters forwarded by the U.K. Transplant Team. Unbeknownst to the rest of the family, she promised herself that if she ever heard of someone who needed a kidney, she would donate one of hers in Regan’s memory.

On Sept. 26, Debbie fulfilled that silent promise. My 53-year-old sister was wheeled into a St. Paul’s hospital operating room to become a live transplant donor. Her left kidney is now inside a man she initially barely knew but today considers a good friend.

(much more)
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional