| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Older Potential Donor concern  (Read 4218 times)

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
Older Potential Donor concern
« on: May 10, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »
I am 60 years old and about half way through the work-up for kidney donation.  Somewhere in my reading (maybe the New England Journal of Medicine) I thought it said that older donors do not pick in GFR in the remaining kidney in the same way that younger donors do.  Did I read that correctly?  What's the current experience on that? 

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Older Potential Donor concern
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:51:34 PM »
     I donated at 56, 10 years ago, and am doing fine. The GFR tends to decrease steadily with age in everybody (if I understand it right). I don't know whether kidney donation will speed up that decline or not.
      best wishes,
         Fr. Pat

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:15:13 PM »
Giants,

I donated at age 67, and am a physician.  I read about all there was to read in medical journals, medical & surgical & transplantation textbooks,  etc.  Not much research has been done; that is, your (and my) question has not been studied adequately.  The inadequate research indicates that, on average, the recovery percentage is a bit less -- about (as I recall) in the 60%-70% recovery range, compared with 65%-75% recovery range of younger donors.  Notice the overlap, however.  After you get your tests, especially the more accurate test to measure GFR, discuss your results and your question about age with the transplant center's nephrologist &/or consult an outside nephrologist.  Also, please read the topic "The latest on GFR" at the top of the first page of the Forum.

Also, please feel to e-mail me, to set up a time to discuss by phone.

All the Best!   :)
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:00:26 PM »
Thank you Dr for your kind offer.  I will be in touch after I receive my test results.  Jeff Smith

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional