| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My first tests to donate anonymously  (Read 5670 times)

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
My first tests to donate anonymously
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:24:03 PM »
I just had my first tests, blood, 24 hour urine, chest xray, ekg, talk with social worker and surgeon.  All came out good except protein in urine at 271, their limit being 250.  I am a 60 year old guy.  I ride my bike 3-4 times a week for just over an hour, fairly strenuously.  So here's the deal.  They said they don't understand the protein given my other levels being so good.  So when I go for my stress test and talk with the psych on May 7th, they want me to do a spot check of my urine protein/creatine level.  I am not to do any exercise for three days prior.  I am hoping that will show a big difference.  Would appreciate any words of encouragement.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: My first tests to donate anonymously
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »
It is important that donor kidney function be evaluated accurately to make sure that you do not suffer any consequences from the donation and of course that the kidney that you donate is optimal for the recipient. They usually start with the 24 hour urine to check for creatinine clearance. There are other more invasive ways to measure kidney function so you may want to discuss all the testing options. It is true that increased exercise sometimes causes a slightly higher protein level which is why they asked you not to exercise before the next test. You may also want to get an independent second opinion from a nephrologist outside the transplant center. They may want to repeat the urine until you have at least 3 normal readings to make sure this was a fluke and not a sign of disease. Good luck as you continue in the process.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 04:38:38 AM »
Dear Giants,
  The very same thing happened to me.  And Sherri's comments are spot on.  I was trying to exercise seriously, to keep my BP and weight down for final approval, and I ended up dumping protein into my urine as a result (in retrospect, I'm also not sure that eating several [high-protein] tofu sandwiches in the days before my test was a great idea).  The medical director of the transplant program, a nephrologist, was not amused, and was ready to cancel my donation (I'd been in the process for nearly a year by then!)  I refused to take no for an answer, and ended up getting another 3 or 4 24-hr. urine collection tests, with no exercising, and I did fine.  However, the brief period when I thought I would not be approved was truly awful. 
   Still, even as I was shouting at her that she couldn't throw me out, I respected the nephrologist for looking out for me.  Even though I sort of viewed her as my "enemy" at that stage, the fact that she "had my back" (rather than being a vulture just dying to grab my kidney) allowed me to demand to continue.  I figured that if it really was unsafe (I mean, I'm not nuts), she just wouldn't let me do it.
   In the end, everything has worked out so far for my donor and I, nearly 7 months post-donation.  I hope things work out for you.  Keep us posted.
       Be well, Snoopy

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »
Dear Giant,

I'm sure you will be obedient to the "no exercise" requirement and won't go out for Brazilian bbq either.  Do update us after your test.

I showed high creatine levels with no other abnormal results.  I'm a weightlifter and runner, fairly muscular.  Anyway, I was sent off to nuclear medicine for a clearance test which requires about 5 hours of timed blood draws.  I aced that test and was able to donate.  Interestingly, my recipients creatine levels are way lower than mine now, since my "normal" is higher than average.

Love, elephant

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 02:01:04 PM »
Thank you all for your good words of advice and encouragement.  I will stay with it until we have something definitive.  I'm not very good at waiting though.  Thankfully I'm not waiting for a transplant! 

On another note, here at church we are a relay stop this Saturday for the Relay-Organs R Us, 126 mile run from Calistoga to Santa Cruz, CA to raise money and awareness for organ donation.  Last year about 150 runners came through here.  This year I am handing out a flyer to every relay of runners about considering living kidney donation to a local person in need. 

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:10:07 PM »
Got my urine retest results today, no protein!  Relief!  Stress test good.  Psych visit good.  Everything looks good so they scheduled me for a kidney scan next week and a 1 hour visit with the nephrologist.  I am getting hard copy of my results to share with my own doctor.  Have been reading all I can find.

Offline alyfaye

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:33:34 AM »
Congratulations! The 24 hour urine test was super stressful for me too. After that everything else went much more smoothly :)

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 10:18:49 AM »
Dear Giants,

Thank you for the update, I'm glad you had good news and look forward to hearing about your next steps.

love, elephant

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional