| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Elevated creatin level - should I worry  (Read 6399 times)

lailag

Elevated creatin level - should I worry
« on: July 11, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »
Hi, I am new to this group. I am a 56 year old woman who donated my left kidney on April 4, 2013 as an anonymous donor, as part of the paired kidney donation program in Canada.  I have just had my 3 month post-surgery blood test, and I am told my creatin level is at 1.08.  I am panicking as my follow up with the nephrologist isn't for a couple of more weeks.  What do I do? Should I panic? Is this normal?

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Elevated creatin level - should I worry
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 02:20:09 PM »
Lailag,

Not sure if you have been following Bradwitt's posts but it might be of interest to you. It should be posted right above or below your post.

In Canada creatinine is measured differently than in the US so if you say your creatinine is 1.0 that seems normal to those of us in the States.

This is a quick table used in Canada.

Canada uses a different measuring tool for creatinine so I think it is difficult for those in the US to understand the numbers mentioned above. This conversion table is from http://www.ccpe-cfpc.com/en/pdf_files/drug_lists/normal_values.pdf

Creatinine, serum                    Canada                                     US

Male                                           70 -120 umol/L                        0.8 - 1.4 mg/dl
Female                                        50 -90 umol/L                         0.56 - 1.0 mg/dl

Most donors have an elevated creatinine post donation. You gave away 50% of your nephrons (the working filtering units of the kidney) and your remaining kidney needs to compensate. It may take time for that to happen. Most donors achieve about 75% of their kidney function once things settle down. You may want to compare what your creatinine was before donating and what it is now. Also check with the nephrologist if there were any issues with blood pressure or protein sometimes measured as microalbumin in your urine. Also sometimes creatinine is affected by hydration or exercise. If you had your blood drawn after exercising or if you were dehydrated it may be temporarily elevated. So in short I wouldn't freak out yet. Speak with the nephrologist and set up another appointment to have it done again in a few months. Make sure to be well hydrated and not exercise at least for 24 hours before.

Let us know how it goes. And best of luck to you.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline WellGrounded

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:09:29 PM »
1.01 is normal, congratulations! I would say that's actually really good for your age.

My creatinine right now is at 1.55, 3 weeks post donation. Hopefully it goes down :)

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
I was having elevated levels still 2 years after donation.  I was seen by the dietician.  I had kept a weekly journal of my food intake for appointment.  It was decided I was eating too much protein.  It was suggested to eat 45-50 grams of protein a day.  I did that for the month before my final visit with the transplant hospital, and my results were great.  My creatinine was under 1!  It had been pushing 1.3 just a month before.  So that might be diet.  Just a suggestion.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

lailag

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »
Thank you all for the words of wisdom and support.  I did retake my blood test, and my level went down to 104 (I was told to make sure I was well hydrated before the test). It is still not at the magical level of 97 that my GP wants. So, I am meeting with the nephrologist next week for my 3 month follow up.  And based on your suggestions, I have started to look for a registered dietitian to make sure I am eating properly.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional