| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Pain management after surgery  (Read 14114 times)

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Pain management after surgery
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 07:39:22 AM »
Dear Logansaunt,

I'll be looking forward to hearing from you after the donation.  I hope all goes well for you and your dear nephew.

Love, elephant

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 01:28:12 AM »
   Make very sure you know which things you can and cannot take.  I'm not talking so much about in the hospital (though it never hurts to be alert for medication errors), but you should definitely mention your one-kidney status to your family doc, pharmacist, etc.--and don't be shy to remind them. 

A few days after writing the above words, I happened to be at my family doc, who recommended I take aspirin or Ibuprofin for something.  [Apart from my general reluctance to take any pain meds,] I reminded him of my donation, and that the "NSAIDS" category of meds is supposed to be forbidden for us one-kidney types.  He quickly agreed, and apologized.  No harm done. 
   But, note well:  this doc knows me very, very well, and processed much of the mountains of medical tests and paperwork for my donation and post-surgical follow-up.  In fact, we usually chat about the donation whenever I'm there.  So he really should have remembered  But doctors are very busy, and are only human.  So, as I've written many times, you are your own best advocate.
    Be well, Snoopy

lailag

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:06 PM »
Hi,
I had my kidney removed through by a laparoscopic nephrectomy.  I was on a pain pump for 24 hours, but didn't really use it too often. I slept alot for the first day!  Then I was given 2 two extra strength Tylenol every 6 hours for the rest of my stay. I was discharged 72 hours after my surgery without any prescription for pain medication.
Good luck!  I hope you have an easy recovery.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved