| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Testing for out of state donor  (Read 8903 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Testing for out of state donor
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:44:37 AM »
Questions for any of you who donated to someone in another state.
How was your first blood test handled? Were you asked to go to a local lab?
Thanks,
Karol
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Testing for out of state donor
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
I live in Seattle and donated in Detroit.  The transplant center sent me a package with the lab orders, vials for the blood and all the supplies to ship it back fed-ex to them.  They also included instructions on how to bill them directly.  It was quite easy and I had the results that I was an initial match about 10 days later.  I did all my testing locally and did not meet the transplant team, except for phone calls, until 5 days before surgery when I flew to Detroit.

Happy to answer any long distance donation questions!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline Karol

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 12:46:56 PM »
Thank you Julie.  :)
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 01:13:30 PM »
Dear Karol,

My recipient was not out of state, but our transplant center was.   They overnighted a package with everything needed to complete the first test.  I had the blood drawn at our local hospital and they returned it for me the next day.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:54:57 PM »
Karol,

I also did my blood draws out of state from where my recipient was initially evaluated.They send the kit, very self explanatory, with a return label for Fed Ex. I actually had someone at work draw it for me, spin it and then I packaged and sent it. But as others said they can give payment information and scrip for all the blood work and the blood lab can bill the center.

Good luck to you and Jenna,

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Karol

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 05:48:59 AM »
Thanks.

Offline donor99

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 08:49:38 AM »
I have worked with many out of state donors and if they are a match the center can get a grant from the living donor assistance fund that will pay for transportation, lodging and meals for the work up and return for surgery.. I've never had a donor denied. Its a great program.
Pat

Offline Karol

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »
I believe that the living donor assistance fund is based on the income of the recipient, so we would not qualify.
Jenna spoke with the living donor coordinator. She said they tell donors that are out of state to go get the labs done (these are general labs to check on health of person) and have them bill the donor BUT DO NOT PAY IT. The bill is to be sent by the donor to Jenna's hospital and they will pay it. - But it occurred to me that some labs require payment at the time of service and this may be the donor's dilemma. Coordinator said to have the donor call her and she will help find a way to get it done.
This hospital doesn't do a crossmatch right away because Jenna has such high antibodies that she is unlikely to match anyone, but with desensitization and/or a swap she may get a transplant from one of these donors.

Offline donor99

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »
I used to think the same thing, but unless the recipient is a millionaire. I've gotten grants for donors without a problem its worth a try. I had a recipient that made 175,000 a year and the donor made 75,000 and I got a grant. Its woth a try.

Offline Karol

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »
Thanks. Jenna doesn't have a donor yet so we are just trying to get a potential donor through the initial labs, without cost to her.
I looked at the NATIONAL LIVING DONOR ASSISTANCE CENTER and there's an eligibility screening tool which may come in handy later. http://www.livingdonorassistance.org/documents/Eligibility%20Screening%20Tool_2012.pdf

Offline Rob_h

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »
Hi Karlo,

Thats great news.  I donated out of state (RI, I live in NH). The RI Hospital had me do some lab testing here in NH (and paid for it). Then some was done in RI and some in NH over quite a while. best wishes, Rob

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 09:30:08 PM »
I will be donating in MI and I am in TX.  I did not incur any costs until I went to meet with the team in Detroit.  At that point it was a flight, hotel etc.  I did have a bit of a challenge with the billing initially however, eventually we got it sorted out with the coordinator and the labs in TX.

Offline 140jmr

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 06:52:50 PM »
I'm also in the process of donating at an out of state hospital.  They have overnighted everything to me through FedEx.  I just take the package to my local lab and have my blood drawn.  They also did this for all my urine testing.  I just got all my results today and passed everything! They told me that I do now have to go there to meet the surgeon and have a chest x-ray.  It has been a very easy process so far.  Good Luck
Jackie

Offline tjhurley

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 02:35:54 PM »
When I took the mailed lab package to my doctor's lab tech, she said she needed orders to draw the blood.  The transplant center had not included orders for the draw. My doctor wasn't there so it was a bit of a delay to get orders faxed.

The second time the tech on a duty at the lab was a friend and she just did the blood draw without orders.  But she did point out that they should be sending orders with the kits. I would imagine this could vary from state to state.  Janet

Offline Karol

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 03:27:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I let this person know to contact the transplant hospital but have heard nothing since then.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional