| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Father Pat  (Read 6556 times)

Louise

Father Pat
« on: March 15, 2011, 07:47:28 AM »
I became a non-directed kidney donor (in Canada) a few years ago, and Father Pat was a wonderful source of advice and guidance leading up to my surgery. At the time, I believe he was living in Japan. Many of you will be familiar with Father Pat, if you have read any of his hundreds (or maybe thousands) of postings on LDO!

I'm sorry to say I haven't been on LDO! for some time. However, I've come back to find out about Father Pat. Does anyone know how Father Pat is? Is he still in Japan? If he is back in the United States, was the community where he was living in Japan affected by the ongoing disaster there?

Father Pat, if you happen to be online yourself, I would be grateful for any update you can provide. You have been a source of inspiration for me.

Louise

Offline Christine Robinson

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Beside the Quiet Voices
Re: Father Pat
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:55:56 AM »
I think Father Pat is located in a part of Japan unaffected (directly) by the tsunami... somewhere near Okinawa.  He is most likely physically safe, although I'm sure, of course, this has been most traumatic to him and all who have personal ties over there. 

Hopefully he'll be signing in soon, and will see your message and give us an update as to how he's doing. 

I'm with you, Louise, in terms of Father Pat's inspiration to many of us here on LDO.  He is consistently a calming presence to those reaching out on the boards.  It stands to reason that he would now be extending himself to folks in Japan in need of comfort, hope, and empathy.

Best wishes to you and all those whose lives you touch, Father Pat.

Christine R

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:18:30 PM »
     Hi all. Thanks for your concern. Yes, Okinawa where I live is in the extreme south of Japan and was not effected by the eathquakes or tsunamis. As you have probably seen from the news reports the devastation in the north has been almost unimaginably huge. Today there are a couple of thousand bodies being washed ashore all along the coast. The number of homeless in the refugee centers is approaching half a million.
You can imagine the situation of those on dialysis whose homes, hospitals, transportation and communication all disappeared in an hour. I have enormous admiration for the nuclear plant workers who are knowingly going into highly radioactive areas that might explode at any moment, risking their lives and health in order to try to save others from the possibility of nuclear melt-downs. They could all just say "I quit" and get as far away as possible. The risks we accepted as living donors are minor compared to the risks they are taking every minute.
     Someone e-mailed me privately to ask what the best way to help financially might be. The Japan Red Cross, I believe, has the most effective and rapid presence on the ground there, and all the local contributions of the people here on Okinawa go through them. I imagine that the American Red Cross is able to accept donations for them and pass them on, but I don't know the details of how that works in the U.S.
     Thanks for your concern and prayers.
          Fr. Pat

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 02:11:21 AM »
The news is heart wrenching. Thank you for the update Fr. Pat.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Ways to give to the Red Cross
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 12:52:53 PM »
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 06:11:54 AM »
     Just bumping this up (even though it is not directly concerned with organ donation) for the benefit of those who expressed concern at the time of the earthquake/tsunami/radiation disaster one year ago on March 11. There is a very moving 8-minute video on www.youtube.com in which the people of Japan express their gratitude ("Arigato") to all who helped. The exact link is:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SS-sWdAQsYG
     but if that does not work just go to www.youtube.com and type "Arigato from the People of Japan" and it should pop up.
                Fr. Pat

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:14:09 AM »
Oops! Sorry. The exact title to search for is "Arigato from Japan Earthquake Victims".
      Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional