| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: ACOT Teleconference Meeting, 3/7/13  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
ACOT Teleconference Meeting, 3/7/13
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:23:04 PM »
Cristy, Donna, and I are listening in on the current Advisory Committee on Transplantation meeting.  Cristy is live tweeting @Living Donor101 and the meeting agenda and most slide presentations are at https://www.blsmeetings.net/ACOTSPRING2013/.  These meeting are open to the public, so consider added them to your listening queue.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Donna Luebke

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner/kidney donor
Re: ACOT Teleconference Meeting, 3/7/13
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 03:43:58 PM »
John

You asked great questions on behalf of donors.  Agree that there cannot be a discrepancy in the care live donors receive whether involved in a national KPD program or are directed donors at a single center.  Sounds like there will not be a national KPD program or national KPD contractor any time soon.  The presenter missed the issue about donor safety.  Safety is so much more than who pays for a complication.  "Equal protection under the law"--loved this.

I just finished serving 6 yrs on our OPO Board (Lifebanc) and am on its Board Governance Committee.  Broader sharing beyond the DSA needs more attention. Glad that HRSA rep mentioned all OPTN organ-specific committees have to address this.  One thing for sure--we have to follow regarding changes in allocation rules and how any changes might impact the allocation priority for any live donor who progresses to organ failure.  Not sure what the status of the 4 point priority is under the proposed changes for kidney allocation.  Cannot find where this is even addressed. 

Donna
Kidney donor, 1994    Independent donor advocate
MSN,  Adult Nurse Practitioner
2003-2006:  OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors, Ad Hoc Living Donor Committee, Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organs Committee, OPTN Working Group 2 on Living Donation
2006-2012:  Lifebanc Board of Directors

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: ACOT Teleconference Meeting, 3/7/13
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »
Thanks, Donna.  I hope the echo lingers during final editing of the recommendation.  The issue isn't as separable as Dorry and others insist it is.  By insisting that the follow up care issue be adequately addressed for KPD donor candidates, these individuals are treated substationally differently than other donor candidates, for whom this issue may be less adequately addressed or elided completely with the blanket dismissal Dorry used, "The recipient's insurer pays."
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional