| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Im just wondering  (Read 5685 times)

Offline hafriz

• Conversationalist
Im just wondering
« on: January 19, 2012, 06:04:41 PM »
Hello fellas.

I was on one of my friend last nite and he told me there is a way to reduce a kidnye rejection and longer time of kidney life.
it is trought Bone marrow transplant first from the donor and then the kidney transplant begin.

this method is now a practice in a few country such as singapore.

Have anyone hear about this method?

cheers

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Im just wondering
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »
It's called "mixed chimerism". It's still in clinical trials in the US. Here's a link to an article from a few years ago on the topic: http://www.immunetolerance.org/news/2009/02/first-subject-transplanted-expanded-study-mixed-chimerism-kidney-transplantation
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

vari

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »
We asked my husband's possible transplant surgeon at Weill Cornell about this and he said that there were some complications so the project was suspended.This was past November and I am not sure if anything has changed since then.But if it can be done in Singapore then why not here I wonder!

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:04:38 PM »
You're right--the study has been suspended. Here's the listing on clinicaltrials.gov, and it says "the study has been suspended" at the top.

Interesting that the Immune Tolerance Network web site still shows the project as active. However, they do post an abstract from a presentation at the American Transplant Congress in May 2011, noting complications in some recipients of a kidney and bone marrow. The concluding sentence of the abstract is "This study has been suspended, and follow-up histopathological and clinical assessments are planned."

More here: http://1.usa.gov/zyZJCP

Thanks for the nudge to research this issue further!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline hafriz

• Conversationalist
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:47:12 AM »
bone marrow transplant is painfull.
the time taken is about 3 week if im not mistaken.
first bone marrow transplant. a week after that or 10 days after bone marrow. proceed with kidney transplant..
roughly it takes about 3 week for transplant i think

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »
     If I'm not mistaken, there are now two different ways of extracting the needed cells for marrow transplant. One is the older (painful) way in which the cells must be extracted from the center of a large bone (hip) by means of a big needle. The other is to extract the cells from the blood of the donor, in several stages, after stimulating the donor to produce more. This appears to be no more painful than blood donation. I'm not an expert on this, but just passing along stuff I have read of. More detailed info on bone marrow donation by clicking the site at the upper left of this home page, or by going to www.marrow.org
    Fr. Pat

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 04:57:54 AM »
I have a friend who completed the chimerism clinical trial at Northwestern. She received bone marrow and a kidney from her husband and she is now off all immunosuppression medications. You can read her story here http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=17365.0 
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional