| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My husband wants to donate to his mom  (Read 6023 times)

Offline helpingmom16

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
My husband wants to donate to his mom
« on: October 02, 2013, 03:45:02 PM »
I will give a (somewhat) brief background as to our story. My mother in law (who I guess I should mention also has diabetes) has known about her cirrhosis for over 20 years. I am not 100% sure what contributed to it, but I know it was not due to alcohol or drug abuse. In March of this year she had an unrelated surgery, developed a staph infection, and then her liver and kidneys began to shut down. She was in and out of the hospital, ICU, rehab and we were told that she would not survive at that time.

She continues to retain fluid, she has jaundice, she has had issues with her mental state for a long time since her surgery. There are days where some can somewhat walk with the assistance of a walker and another person and some days where she doesn't get out of bed at all. She has bruises all over her arms, she is losing her hair, and generally has the appearance of a 90 year old woman who is really in her 50s. She just had her liver evaluation and they told her that her MELD Score is at an 11. They are having their weekly meeting to determine if she should be put on the list for a transplant. They also discussed living donor options with my husband in the event that it becomes an option.

I love her very much and she is very much like another parent to me. I am just having a hard time accepting this as an option. We have an almost two year old son who my husband takes care of (along with taking care of his mother full time) while I go to work. We are barely making it financially at this point. He does not have life insurance, though I would likely require him to have it if he seriously considered it. Of course I want to support what he wants, but I am petrified and angry all at the same time. He has taken on more than his fair share of responsibility in this (having to change diapers, watch her full time and even weekends as well when needed) and there are times where I feel like "why are we responsible for taking this on when there are other family members who could"? I also look at the possibilty of how angry I would be if he passed on and she lived. I know it wouldn't be her fault, and he would be happy that he was able to save her, but I know that resentment would always be there.

I know I am jumping the gun on  this because we could find out that they won't even approve a live donor transplant yet. She is just SO sick and I don't know why they are dragging this out. We just need an answer at this point as to what we should be preparing for-- a liver transplant or a funeral. It is so....sooo sad that it has come down to that. Thank you to anyone for listening and offering whatever advice you have.

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Re: My husband wants to donate to his mom
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:41:37 PM »
I don't have any experience with liver failure or transplants. I do know what it is like to have a loved one struggle with illness. I hope that your mother-in-law gets good care and if she is a candidate for a transplant, that the hospital team will provide good guidance for your husband and the options available. I am sorry you all have to go through this. It's a very difficult and sad situation. Best wishes to you and your family.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 01:30:49 AM »
     I am sorry to hear of your situation. It can be helpful to keep in mind that not everyone who has serious liver disease is accepted as a candidate for liver donation. In some cases the doctors judge that it would not  help, or that the patient is too sick to survive the surgery. So wait and see what is decided on this. If she IS judged to be a transplant candidate, you and your husband should ask the doctors (in my opinion) for an honest evaluation of the chances of success. And also keep in mind that living donation is not the only option: she would also be on the waiting list for transplant from a deceased donor. So it would be good to take your time and get the answers you need before proceeding further.
     Please let us know how things go.
   Fr. Pat

Offline JamesD

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »

You are in a very difficult situation and even though in the early stages of the process I see the stress is overwhelming you.  No one knows what the future holds but the one thing that is obvious is you were blessed to find a good loving moral man to share you life with. Best of luck to your family.

Offline res5137

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »
I think that you and your husband should sit down with Mom's doctors and see if a kidney donation would/ could/ significantly impact her life.
Based on the information, together you should decide what you would like to do...
It is good for you to know that kidney donors are a special group of people... DO NO HARM TO THE DONOR... Donors are rigorously tested and cannot donate unless they are very healthy. Donors also have an "edge" on the public... Should a donor need a kidney... they are placed on the top of the list... Of course a donor does not have the extra kidney to donate to another family member. It is a decision that the donor must make...after knowing all the options, and pros and cons, as well as thoughts of other loved ones... This is NOT easy

Your mother-in-law is lucky to be well loved. I hope she will soon be better. I am sending you positive energy and prayers to make you and your husband's decisions easier..
Sincerely, Rhoda

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 01:37:08 AM »
Dear Rhoda,
     Actually if one donates a kidney and later needs a kidney transplant, one is given extra "points" to move higher on the waiting list for a kidney from a deceased donor, but not to the top of the list.
    Fr. Pat

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 07:48:20 AM »
Just to clarify for this thread, this poster, I believe is talking about her husband wanting to donate part of his liver to his mother, not a kidney. Living liver donation poses a much higher risk of mortality and morbidity for the donor making the decision a lot more difficult. In addition the surgery for the recipient may also come with a higher price tag, as in order to qualify for as a recipient for a liver transplant one needs to have a high enough MELD score. This means you need to be quite sick to qualify to even receive a transplant so one must know what the chances of recovery are for their recipient to make this decision.

There have been other posts on the board posing the same dilemma. Here is the link to the story about Ryan Arnold who died after donating a portion of his liver to his brother Chad.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/12/17/live.liver.donation.complications/index.html

In order to be fully informed about undergoing this type of surgery there are a lot of questions one must ask. Complication rates are a good place to start. But we all know even though a complication rate may be very low, when it happens to you its 100%.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify about living liver donation compared with kidney donation.
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline res5137

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 08:57:45 AM »
LIVER donation ... much different... ( I did not read the post carefully) DO NO HARM TO THE DONOR
I am sending positive energy and sunshine to help you and your family through this difficult time-
Rhoda

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional