| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Post-op day 7  (Read 4703 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Post-op day 7
« on: October 16, 2011, 02:43:16 PM »
   Before I say anything else, let me thank the members of this board for all the help and advice they've given me. I must especially thank Sherri, Bill, and Linda for countless helpful, supportive e-mails, both on and off-list.  And so many others on this list, over the past year or so, have helped me so much as well.  To thank them all, I will choose as their representative Fr. Pat , who always offered judicious, on-point advice on innumerable subjects.
  My recipient (whom I met for the first time when we went together to match our tissues) and I checked into the hospital last Saturday night, and we were operated on last Sunday.  I came home last Wed., and my recipient is due home this Tuesday. 
  Fortunately, we're both doing well. The morning of the surgery, my creatinine was 0.76; the morning after, 1.04.   My recipient is feeling better every day (we were roommates till I was discharged, and we talk each day by phone since then). 
   When I woke up from surgery, I was conscious of three things.  First, somebody was yelling in my ear to open my eyes. Second, they asked me if I felt pain.  When I answered, 6-7 out of 10, they said, "Oh, so there is pain; we'll give him some more meds"--which helped a lot.  Third, my teeth were literally chattering with cold, which a few blankets readily addressed.
   I've been very fortunate.  The significant pain seems to have passed me by altogether.  After that first time in the recovery room, I refused all painkillers.  I had no shoulder pain, no digestive (gas) pains, no overall bad pain at all.  However, I did run a bit of fever, mainly in the 99 range, but at one point up to 101.  Also, I had enough overall pain that most of my time in-hospital I walked quite stooped over.  I also had something of a chest cold (which I'd had already before the surgery, but which probably wasn't improved by the experience).  They gave me breathing exercises, and encouraged me to try to walk as straight as I could.   
   By Tues. night, I finally agreed to a half-dose of painkillers, because the nurse hinted that I'd feel better, and would be walking better, possibly helping clear my chest, shake my fever, and improve my chances of getting sent home on time.  And so it was.  Whatever else the painkillers did or didn't achieve, they made the fever aches go away, and I did walk more, and straighter...and the docs did discharge me on Wednesday.
  Since coming home, I've rested and slept a lot, but have been doing a bit more each day.  And, the pain is not bad at all.  But neither is it really getting much better.  I'm pretty sure most of my problem is the surgical staples in my belly and chest, which are coming out Tues.
   I'll probably post more over the next few days, but I at least wanted to get something out now.
                    Be well, Snoopy

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Post-op day 7
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »
Great to hear from the source! Officially, welcome to the donors' club! Keep up the good work recuperating and enjoy the time off. Always love welcoming a new member. Thanks for sharing your experience here with all of us. Now you are an "expert" and can pass your knowledge forward.

all the best,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 04:13:27 PM »
It is so good to hear such a wonderful upate Snoopy! I am SO happy that you and your recipient made it through the surgery and are both doing so well. I think your creatinine of 1.04 sounds wonderful - at last check mine was 1.1 (this was almost a year ago and I am going for my annual check in just under 2 weeks, so we will see if it stayed in that range.) I am glad you finally agreed to the painkillers to help with your pain. I do not like taking any of that type of stuff either, but I also did take some after my surgery for a bit. I know what you mean when you mentioned someone "yelling" at you after surgery to open your eyes. I also thought is sounded like someone was yelling at me after my surgery as I came to. I am not sure if they were really yelling, but to me, everything sounded so LOUD! lol

Please continue to update us as you are able. Allow yourself to rest and take naps, and take short walks as you feel like it. I am so happy to be able to say an official  "WELCOME TO THE CLUB SNOOPY!!" :)

As Sherri mentioned, you are now one of the experts and can pass on your knowledge and experiences as new members come on board. I also think it is so nice that those of us have already donated are able to share with each other how we are all doing.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS and THANK YOU!

Best Wishes!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »
Thank you to Sherri and Linda (once again) for their welcome to the club, and encouragement.
  I should mention something I left out from my earlier post.  Although I did not realize it when I first got home, my stomach definitely did swell up, quite a bit--when I tried to get into the slacks that had been quite loose on me only the previous week, I could not close them.
  Fortunately, other posters had mentioned this, and I had already dug out pants from when I was much heavier, several years ago.
  This helps, although let me just suggest not to keep one's belt buckle over one's surgical staples, and especially not to bend over in such a position.  The only really significant pain I've had since coming home has involved my belt pressing against the staples.  Loose elastic sweats would probably be perfect.
    Be well, Snoopy

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 10:06:03 PM »
ATTADONOR, Snoopy!!  ;D  Welcome.   [& good advice for future donors, too  ;)  ]
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional