| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Post-surgical sneezing  (Read 7985 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Post-surgical sneezing
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:38:44 PM »
  Based on my own experience, I suggest trying to avoid sneezing soon after surgery.  It's not a lot of fun.  At least you can prevent sneezing by pressing your finger hard, horizontally under your nose.
  Laughing is also a little painful after surgery, but less so.  If you plan to have funny visitors, have a little pillow ready to place over your incision.
           Be well, Snoopy

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Post-surgical sneezing
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 04:36:20 PM »
I just winced remembering the pain from an unstoppable sneeze. UGH! 
One of my dear friends came over after a different major surgery that caused much pain in the abdominal area as well. She is the most sublimely funny person I know. She did not mean to almost kill me with her unassuming sense of humor, but I did at some point, cry and beg her to go away. :) And they say laughter is the best medicine. ;)  The great news is that your spirits are good enough that you are laughing.

*wincing one more time* AH CHOO!  HATED that!

SO happy you are home and healing! Thank you for your generous gift!!!!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »
Agreed!
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »
My sister (who is my recipient) and I went to see the movie Bridesmaids a couple days before surgery because we heard it was very funny.  It was great to get some hearty laughing out of our system knowing that it would be painful for some days to come! Oh, and keep that pillow nearby just in case a sneeze sneaks up on you!

Snoopy - congratulations on a your successful donation!  Your positive spirit is is contagious and reminds me of the wonderful experience. It still amazes me every day that it was only 13 weeks ago and baffles me that I pretty much feel as though nothing ever happened.  I often wonder if they forgot to actually take my Kidney...but then I guess my sister wouldn't be doing so well!

Take care during your recovery! Best wishes...
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:00:10 AM »
She did not mean to almost kill me with her unassuming sense of humor, but I did at some point, cry and beg her to go away. :) And they say laughter is the best medicine. ;)....Nicki

The same thing happened to me during another hospitalization, long ago.  A dear friend came regularly, and constantly made me laugh.  I told my wife to tell him that I loved him, but that I didn't want to see him again till I was well--it hurt too much! 
    Right now, I'm still trying to avoid very funny people.  If you know any good jokes...please save them for another few weeks!!!
   Snoopy

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 11:13:16 PM »
That is so very true Snoopy!

I also tried to keep a pillow nearby to hold over my stomach if I had to sneeze or laugh.
When my husband and I were in the hospital following our surgery, I was in his room one evening, sitting on his bed with him while we watched TV. There was a particularly funny episode of a sitcom on TV. (Two and a Half Men). We were both laughing so hard, yet trying so hard not to laugh. We really probably should have just turned the channel, as we both had really sore stomach's by the end of the show. I guess we were just so happy to have the surgery over and know that everything turned out well, it felt really good to be laughing. (Except for the sore stomach's!)

Take Care - and try not to sneeze for a while! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved