| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Post-Donation Follow-up  (Read 6407 times)

Offline shelby

• Top 200 Poster!
Post-Donation Follow-up
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:24:18 AM »
I am 2 weeks post-surgery and am curious about the post-donation follow-up. (Never really  think about that until it is all over!) I am scheduled to travel 5 weeks post surgery and so follow up with surgeon will take place just before that. I will have lab work done at 4 weeks mark but that goes back to the nephrologist and they will let me know if there are any issues. After that, apparently it's annual check ups.

My lab values at discharge compared to pre surgery were
Creatinine 103 vs 67
Hgb 95 vs. 129

With nothing more than 4 week lab work until the annual physical, I feel like a lot of time is passing without an assessment of my progress. What is the experience of others? What sort of progress should I be seeing in my numbers and at what intervals?
Donated to friend

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Post-Donation Follow-up
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »
I went in for a follow-up at 8 days.  I go back again at three months, then six, then one year and finally at two years.  After that it is on me to go to my private doctor.
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline mom2three

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:25:54 PM »
My follow up consisted of 1 week, 6 months, 1 year and 2 year.
Donated to cousin on 6/29/2010 at Cleveland Clinic

Offline Dora76

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:09:31 AM »
My follow-ups were: 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year.  For me, they do labs every time I go--I had assumed that was the case in all situations?  I'm coming up for my 1 year appointment the first week of November.  I'm not sure of the exact numbers on my labs.  It sometimes felt like I should be seeing the doctor more frequently because up to now it's sometimes hard to fathom that an organ was removed from my body--I keep wanting to say, "Are you sure everything is fine??!"  But I like my nephrologist, and I've become more conscious of trying to live a healthier lifestyle and paying more attention to my body.  If I ever had questions, I contacted the doctors and they assured me everything was normal.  So far, I feel fine.  Now that I'll need to move on to a primary care physician I want to educate myself on what tests/assessments I should have done regularly as a donor.
~Living kidney donor to my mother, November 2010~

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:49:24 PM »
I was called by the donor team at about 2 weeks post op, but I was having no issues, so I didn't go in til my 6 week check up. When I did have a concern, I called and was seen THAT DAY, which I thought was pretty awesome of them. That's all she wrote. I'm in the care of my own dr now, other than the study that my sister and I participate in for the long term outcome for living donors. They did tell me that if I have any concerns EVER and I think it's kidney/surgery related, to call them and they will see me.

Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
My transplant center told me they would contact me at 6 months, 1 year and 2 years for lab test follow-up.  I will see my PCP for my regular care and annual check-ups.  I thought it was "mandatory" for the transplant center to follow-up and report the results at 6 months, 1 year and 2 years.  I guess compliance is another issue!  If they don't contact me I plan on contacting them!

Good Luck!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 04:17:23 PM »
Jewels:  I received my six month lab slip/question sheet two months ago.  It was sent out early. 

I personally do not see a point in being seen by a doctor as long as my lab work is fine. 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional