| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New Here....Donating April 4th  (Read 4724 times)

Offline CoralS

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
New Here....Donating April 4th
« on: March 22, 2014, 12:23:37 PM »
After a year of this process, I've finally been scheduled to donate my kidney to my husband's coworker's wife on April 4th. I've done an incredible amount of reading in the last year, but I would still love any sort of advice, suggestions that anyone who has been through the surgery can give me. One thing that makes it complicated is that I live in Arizona and she lives in Alabama so the trip back after the surgery makes me nervous, as well as the fact that everything in Birmingham is foreign, and it will just be my husband and I there for the surgery. Not a very big support system till I get home. What things should I be thinking about/preparing for that they might not go over in all the donor information classes?
Thanks so much!!!!

Offline jgivens

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Re: New Here....Donating April 4th
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 01:58:04 PM »
Hi, I donated a  kidney to a friend 5 1/2 weeks ago.  Are you flying or driving?  I donated mine at Mayo in MN and live in Arkansas (10 hour drive).  We drove home five days after surgery and split the drive into two days.  It wasn't that bad.  If you drive, make sure you stop to walk about every hour (to prevent blood clots).  Stop for the night more often than you normally would. We drove six hours the first day and it was almost too much, but I was anxious to get home.  Riding in the car post-op takes more out of you than you may realize. I don't think it is a bad idea for it to just be you and your husband in Birmingham.  My husband went with me and my mother and in-laws stayed home with our kids.  I really didn't feel like "entertaining" visitors.  My recipient's family was all there, but it was a much bigger deal for them, as his life depends on this organ.  They are very close friends of ours, but I still just wanted to rest more than visit.  I grew up in Alabama.  Birmingham is a fairly easy town to navigate and the medical district is downtown with the University.  It won't be hard to navigate.
I had very little pain and recovered pretty quickly.  The biggest symptom that was present after the surgery was the fatigue. For the first couple of weeks, I got tired extremely easily.  Every day I felt stronger and better.  Week three I returned to work (I am a junior high librarian) for three half days.  The fatigue finally let up in week four, I worked 4 full days and one half day.  I feel back to normal  now.  Good luck.  It really is an incredible thing to be a part of.

Offline CoralS

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 05:27:55 PM »
We're flying, I can't imagine a road trip after the surgery would be much fun! It's about 6 or 7 hours of travel but it's spread into two flights & I was able to find a deal on a first class ticket so there should be a little more room to move around in the airplane. I keep reading about the exhaustion afterward, so I guess maybe I'll just sleep most the way home! I'm so interested to see what this journey looks like coming out the other side, and so excited for it to finally be here!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 07:46:18 PM »
     If you haven't already done so, you might want to look at the list of "helpful hints" that the National Kidney Foundation collected from past donors; www.kidney.org/transplantation/livingdonors/infotips.cfm
     One thing that is sometimes neglected in the literature: post-op bloating can make regular-size clothing, underwear, & shoes uncomfortable (or impossible) to wear on the way home, so bring large comfortable things with you. A small pillow to press against the incision site(s) during the trip may be very helpful.
   best wishes,
        Fr. Pat

Offline CoralS

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 08:21:08 PM »
Thank you!!! Tips like that are priceless :)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 07:57:01 AM »
Hi, CoralS.
   I would very much second Fr. Pat's advice about loose clothing.  My center never mentioned it, but LDO had prepared me.  Had I not taken sweat pants with me, I can't imagine what I could have worn home.
   Also, I was very sensitive to bumpy rides for quite a long while after donation.  I don't have a car, and had to use lots of taxis, rather than buses.
  I remember that I had hoped to jump out of bed and start walking as soon as I could after surgery, as at least one LDO poster reported doing.  What actually happened the day after surgery was that I spent hours (I think) staring at the walls before it even occurred to me that I could try wiggling my fingers and toes.  Not that I was paralyzed or anything--it just didn't occur to me.  I also slept quite a lot, I think.  What finally got me out of bed was having to use the bathroom.  It took a while before I braved the muscle pain involved, but necessity is the mother of invention, I guess, and I finally hit upon a sort of scissor-kick motion that helped me swing my legs off the bed and get on my way.
    Check with your center about the exact length of time, but be prepared to avoid lifting (even not very heavy things) for a good while; I found that even opening heavy doors was difficult.
    I wish both of you successful surgeries and speedy, complete recoveries!
        Be well, Snoopy

Offline CoralS

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 05:19:45 PM »
Thank you Snoopy! I will be sure to pack super comfortable & very stretchy pants! My center really hasn't given me a lot of practical information so I've spent that past week or so going through these boards. They're sooo helpful!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 07:28:46 PM »
      Some donors have found it helpful to keep a journal of their thoughts as they approach and recover from the donation (this is apart from keeping records of your medical test results, etc.) It can help to calm the mind, and can be very interesting to look back over later. As writing may be difficult right after surgery, having a cheap little battery-powered recorder can be helpful to gather your post-op thoughts.
     Some donors have wanted a picture of their surgery and the kidney, and have asked if someone in the O.R. could snap a foto or two, and some have found a willing helper. (To some it sounds like a great idea, to others a strange idea, but to each her own.)
              Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 07:50:04 AM »
Dear Coral,

Alert the airline when you check in on the way home.  Consider a wheelchair and/or electric cart ride to get you to the gate.  Bet they will be glad to help you.  I was very fatigued after surgery, and would have found standing in a security line unbearable.

The small firm pillow is a huge help, especially if you sneeze.  Also earplugs - my roommate in the hospital was so noisy!  Even so, I probably should have spent a third night in the hospital, I was still pretty sick when I left.  Oh, and I wish I started eating prunes immediately, like in the hospital.

I hope you and your recipient both do great.

Keep us updated about your donation! 

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional