| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donating Plasma after donating a kidney  (Read 7838 times)

Offline Jnetter

• Conversationalist
Donating Plasma after donating a kidney
« on: December 21, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »
I donated a kidney almost 2 years ago.  Does anyone know why I am not allowed to donate plasma anymore?  Thanks in advance.   :)
Jen

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Donating Plasma after donating a kidney
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 04:54:15 PM »
Who deferred you?  Was your donation cited as the reason why?  Have you followed up with the medical director of the organization?  Gotten citations justifying the deferral policy?  Donors here got the National Marrow Donor Program to reverse their unsupported decision to defer kidney donors as stem cell donors several years ago.  I'd be happy to discuss this privately, if you prefer. Best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline rdr321

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
 I donated last friday. They did not have a problem with me having donated a kidney 4 months ago

Offline Jnetter

• Conversationalist
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:24:29 AM »
I do not remember who it was, I called a plasma donation place a few months ago and asked if I was allowed to since I had donated a kidney and they said no.  The reason why I called and asked was because I donated plasma before I donated the kidney and when I told them I wouldnt be back for awhile because I was donating a kidney they said I will not be able to donate plasma anymore.  The place I called was not the same place that I used to go to.  Nobody really seems to have a medical answer for this and of course, I always forget to ask my doctor when I see him.
Jen

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved