| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: anemia at 5 years post donation  (Read 3805 times)

Offline gina

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
anemia at 5 years post donation
« on: August 27, 2015, 11:16:24 AM »
I've been recently found to be anemic and follow-up labs are out of whack. My internal medicine doc wants me to see a gastroenterologist for possible colonoscopy/upper GI. Since my egfr has been 33-54 since donation and I have now
albumin in my urine, should I see a nephrologist first? As a retired RN I dread getting involved with the medical system.
Thanks..

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: anemia at 5 years post donation
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:29:52 PM »
Dear Gina,

For sure I'd consult a nephrologist and a gastroenterologist.  In fact, I'd  make sure they talk to each other about any findings or treatments. 

I have ulcerative colitis, diagnosed after my donation, and my gastroenterologist is always cautious about medications that have any possible nephrotoxic effect.  In fact, when I have a colonoscopy he's selective about the preparation medications.  I also have labs every 6 months. 

Don't dread the medical system but do be your own advocate! 

Love, elephant
My eGFR has been 48-54 for four years since donation,  but this has not been considered to be particularly unusual since I have only one kidney.   A steady declining trend is different than if it is stable. 

Offline gina

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 02:35:46 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:18:59 PM »
     Just to mention that some doctors recommend that all kidney donors take supplements of both vitamin B-12 and vitamin D (even if you get plenty of sun) as we seem to tend to be deficient in these. I don't know whether shortages of these vitamins would contribute to your health problems or not.
     You might want to also post your question at the FACEBOOK page of Living Donors On Line, as there are more donors who check in there and perhaps someone there has more experience with this condition.
           Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional