| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Found out I am donating my RIGHT kidney. Anyone with experience?  (Read 4998 times)

jodyrn

I will be donating my RIGHT kidney as a non-directed donor December 8th at UVA.  I am 46 years old. 
120#  female.
Anyone donated their RIGHT kidney?.  What should I expect?
What was the worst part of it all??? Pain, gas pressure, fatigue?
My GFR is 88 using the dye test.  How much will my GFR (kidney function) go down after donation. Does it usually come back up?? 
How long does it take to start feeling better.  Did anyone experience depression afterward. 
Of those of you that donated anonymously, did you get to meet your recipient? 
Please send prayers and/or positive energy.  I'm getting anxious. 

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Found out I am donating my RIGHT kidney. Anyone with experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:01:08 AM »
Congratulations on being so close to donation!!!!
I can't answer to your right kidney question because mine was my left, and as I'm sure you've read it's more common with the left, but I'm going to guess that recovery is about the same as for the left. 
Many things depend on your recovery- if you have a higher pain tolerance, how active you are, etc.  For me it wasn't bad- I think I took it easy for 2 weeks, and then slowly got back to normal. I think I worked from home for a week before going back into the office. Once back at the office I just needed to get up and walk more often.
The sorest was right after surgery, it was quite painful, so if you find that to be true, take them up on the pain meds, it's what they are there for!
Your left kidney will figure out that righty is gone and pick up the slack, and you will find a new normal with your GFR- it's different for everyone, but you will get a new normal. Our bodies are amazing, amazing, amazing!!!! 
Will you have some help after surgery?
I have 4 young children at home- I mention that just so you know that all things are possible. :) My husband helped for a week and then my parents kinda babysat me, but the kids were very good about snuggling me and helping me as much as possible.
I donated anonymously, and started a chain (the first in the midwest!!!) Just this week last year, before Thanksgiving, the whole kidney chain got to meet! That was 4 months after the surgery (some hospitals say 6 months, others don't have any time period for meeting one another). It was SUCH a great experience, and now I have a whole bunch of new friends that I love dearly.  I am amazed by the other donors and by the way each recipients story is so incredibly full of fight and trials that I will likely never know myself.  The gift you are giving is bigger than is measurable, and the waves of the good you are putting into the world go on forever and will touch more people than you can possibly know too! 
The days before, the anticipation is the highest, of course.  Hang in there! Someone, somewhere is going to celebrate the BIGGEST Thanksgiving they have ever had with their family.  People you may never meet are praying for you and surrounding you with love for giving them the biggest gift of all: hope. I hope you also have a beautiful Thanksgiving!
Congratulations again!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

jodyrn

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »
Thanks so much Nicki.  I don't know why I am getting so anxious about the pain.  I have only had one surgery (bladder repair) and it was terrible.  I have to have another surgery (pelvic prolapse, bladder etc.) after the donation. 
Wow, you donated anonymously!!  May I ask what moved you to donate?  Your family must have been very supportive.  My husband is a sweetheart.  He is with me all the way.  I bet your reunion with the chain was amazing.   UVA required that we wait a YEAR before meeting (that's if the recipient wants to meet). 
Thanks so much for your encouraging words.  I am so glad I found this forum.  I couldn't be doing this without it.  :)

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:14:06 PM »
My husband has had numerous surgeries, including two bladder procedures. My pain was nothing compared to his bladder surgeries (he had spasms).

I thought the pain would resemble pancreatitis or his open splenectomy. It was more like having your gallbladder out.  I also asked for zofran the moment I came to in recovery.

For me, the first week was soreness and you feel huge.  Walking and sitting in a chair with your knees pulled up to your chest helped a lot. 

The second week was incision pain and decreasing soreness.  I had back pain for two weeks from protecting my stomach muscles. I woke up stiff for 90 days, but it wasn't anything to take Tylenol over. 

Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved