| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Time from match to surgery?  (Read 11789 times)

Offline Linda

• Top 100 Poster!
Time from match to surgery?
« on: November 25, 2011, 09:59:28 AM »
Hi all,

I am curious about the length of time it took from your match being confirmed until your surgery date.

Mine was 6/24 through 10/28.  Just wondering what is "typical."  My coordinator kept leading me to believe it would be in 3 weeks or so. If the "average is more like 3 months, this should be something donors are told up front so we can plan our lives accordingly.

(I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!)
donated kidney to dear friend Oct. 2011

Offline smudge

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Time from match to surgery?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 05:36:35 PM »
I'm in the UK so perhaps different.  Matched in January and could have had surgery in April but due to work and personal commitments of both my recipient and I chose to delay to June.

We were told the testing process would take around 2-3 months (which it did) and then it would take a further 2-3 months to schedule surgery.

Felt a long time when we were going through it!

Offline Barbara S

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 09:42:55 PM »
We started testing in July - I dont remember exactly when we determined if I was a match - but donation in December
I think we had to wait until my brother was officially placed on the waiting list to move forward.
Proud Kidney Donor to Brother
December 9, 2003
at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:59:09 AM »
I was tested and found out I was a match in September 2008. The testing was done at this time as we knew my Husband would be needing a transplant in the next several months, and we were trying to get donors lined up. I did not have my health testing (CT Scan, EKG, chest X-ray, blood and urine tests, etc.) until June of 2009. The transplant/donation surgery was October 8, 2009. We could have done the surgery sooner, except I had a hysterectomy May 11, 2009, so the doctors wanted me to wait a few months between surgeries. Fortunately, my Husband was able to avoid dialysis and everything worked out beautifully.

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline texman87

• Conversationalist
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 03:45:48 PM »
We started testing in January 2010... I actually already had my HLA typing done for a friend of mine and forwarded that to my friends son's hospital.  Even after jumping through all the hoops JH put me through we had the surgery done in September 2010... it is not by any means a  short process, but worth it.
Brett

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »
Our center said it would take about 6 months, and it did!   My brother is not on dialysis, so there was not a rush.  I think they can get you through the process if you are younger and if there is a need for speed.  I also think they want the donor to absorb the process and not feel rushed into the commitment to donate.   

john78259

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 04:11:06 PM »
I started in March 2011 and was scheduled fro the end of May. Ended up getting rescheduled fro August due to delays in getting the entire chain ready. (I was part of a 10 kidney paired exchange chain.)

Offline bradmac

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »
I matched in August and we did the surgery in November.

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
I started testing in May 2011, matched in June (I was out of town a lot during the summer), did the full work up in July.  We could have done the surgery two weeks after that, but I chose to wait until September 6, 2011 so that my kids would be back in school.
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline WillowTree

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 01:05:25 PM »
I am in Canada and it seems to take much longer than other places. I was told when i started that 6 months was about the quickest I could hope for. I started the process in September '08 and I ended up actually donating in Feb 2010. My work up was not typical (if any actually are) and was a very hard process for me. I always say that the actual surgery was nothing in comparison to the pain and suffering of the work up for me.

Ebony

Donated to my dad 02/09/10

Offline llinton98

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »
We started testing in September (09) and could have had the surgery in December, but we decided as a family to enjoy Christmas together and to postpone the surgery until just after the new year. :) Surgery was Jan. 15, 2010.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 07:03:36 PM »
Final match was on September 28 and surgery was October 22.  Went quick but I let the recipient and his family pick the date.

Scott    8)
Scott

APV

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 07:53:58 PM »
From beginning to end it took exactly 6 months for me to be able to donate to my husband.  We just passed the 6 month post-surgery mark and we are both doing great.

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
depends...
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 08:15:15 AM »
I was determined to be a suitable match on May 20, 2009.   Due to some unexpected "issues" with "my body" (not the recipient)...the surgery didn't occur until October 28, 2009....

Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline PaulaHalvo

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »
Matched in January, surgery scheduled for February 14th.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional