| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Three Years!  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
Three Years!
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:18:09 PM »
Three years today since donating to my brother.  Time flies -  he's healthy,  I'm  healthy, the things modern medicine can do are simply amazing.  Truly a life giving gift from God. 

I have to think hard to remember the recovery experience - the scary pre-surgery talk, the morphine drip, the pillow for the ride home,  oh yeah and the catheter removal :o

I'd do it again in a heart beat!  God bless you donors  :)

Oldnslow

Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Three Years!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 12:18:22 AM »
Glad to hear it~  I am in the "old" category...giving a kidney to my brother next Wednesday...at the jittery phase...very glad to read your post!!

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:19:09 PM »
Jatopa - My Uncle received a kidney about half a year ago & I believe he's 70.   And doing fine I might  add.

I will admit that it is scary and there are risks.    For me I believe it was well worth it and  I would do  it again.    My BP is around the 110/70 range.  Lately I've lost some weight.  I'm curious if that brings my  creatin down from 1.5.  We'll see.

How old is your recipient?

Oldnslow
Oldnslow

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:31:38 PM »
My brother is 65 and I am so much younger at 61

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:10:52 AM »
Congratulations Oldnslow!

I am so glad to hear that both you and your brother are doing so well. I agree with you - modern medicine really is a gift from God. I have often thought how very different things would be if we would have been born just 100 years sooner. I am most definitely happy to be here in this time era! :)

Again, congratulations to you and your Brother!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 05:30:12 PM »
 A little late to the party, but congratulations to you and your brother, Oldnslow! Always good to hear from you and know that you are doing well!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 02:28:39 AM »
Hi Orchidlady - thanks!   I don't get on as frequently as before.  I feel pretty fortunate and we had an excellent team.   I was just reading one of the other posts where the donor's kidney function after donation was very bad (a Georgetown Univ operation).    They must have missed something in the pre-screens.   Their GFR couldn't have been great pre-donation.   I know that I did see a difference in the screening when we switched to Clarion in Indianapolis.   To  me, they seemed more thorough.

How are things with you & your recipient? 
Oldnslow

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved