| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Time Off for Kidney Donation  (Read 8382 times)

lclark8307

Time Off for Kidney Donation
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:58:30 AM »
This is the letter I received from my employer when I requested time off to donate a kidney.

"Lorraine,
To answer your question below, this is a personal decision, I cannot tell you if you can do this or not. As far as I know this is a long process. On my part I have a client to take care of and I have to make sure that I cover the requested schedule by the state. Also I cannot guarantee your job after that process."

What is the average time off I would need ? Would I be covered by FMLA > I live in NH. I think it is a right to work state. If I am fired for donating would I qualify for unemployment ?

Offline Johnny_t

• Top 200 Poster!
Re: Time Off for Kidney Donation
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:44:21 AM »
That is so sad and unfortunate because you are doing such a wonderful thing by donating.  It probably depends on the type of work you do.  I am a college student and I donated my kidney 4 days ago and I am planning to go back to school on Monday (6 days post op).  My surgeon says that I should be fine, but I may be unconfortable sitting and concentrating for a few weeks.  He originally took me off of school for 4 weeks, but since I'm doing pretty well I'll be going back much sooner.  It seems the biggest hurdle during recover is the lifting restriction of less than 10 lbs, and managing pain, but based on my letter from my surgeon I can assume that the average recovery time is about 1 month or so.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to the FMLA question.  Perhaps someone in HR could answer that for you.  Good luck on your surgery.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 05:35:24 PM »
I think FMLA depends on the size of the company/agency you work for. If they are under a certain number of employees (I think it's 50) they don't have to allow it. 

I took three weeks off from work, could have gone back after 2, but it really depends on your recovery and that can't be predicted. If you have a desk job, you are likely to get back sooner. If you have to lift, etc, it will take much longer.

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 08:33:33 PM »
You need to speak with an employment attorney in your state.  FMLA looks to company size and the recipient's relation to the donor.

Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

maynard9089

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:02:47 AM »
It doesn't seem right that an employer could not hold your job. I work for a large corporation and they paid me 90% of my wages while I was out for recovery. I would certainly talk to a lawyer about it.

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »
WOW......I am sorry that you received such a terrible responce:(

I took 6 weeks & filled out the FMLA paperwork.
(Which had to be filled out by a medical professional)

I work for a school corporation in Indiana and am grateful that they were very helpful, supportive & flexible with my situation.

Just doesn't seem right that they would let you go when you are sacrificing a part of yourself to help someone in need :-[

Good luck to you!!

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 09:18:48 PM »
The FBI has a mandatory paid nine weeks off for organ donors. 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Jeepers

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:14:57 PM »
Hi, I was back to work (construction supervision) in 3 weeks. Could have been back in 2, but decided to be on the safe side.

Major bummer on the employer. Luckily, mine was supportive.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional