| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Top 5 must bring  (Read 7407 times)

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
Top 5 must bring
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:55:28 AM »
Ok - with all the experience out there I would love to hear from you on what items you are SO glad you had with you in the hospital, and what items you wish you would have had...maybe a top 5 list?  I apologize if this topic has been out there before...

Thanks!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline llinton98

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Top 5 must bring
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:19:22 AM »
Hi Julie:

I brought much more stuff than I truly needed but here were the things I valued most:

Mp3 player with earbuds - Didn't spend much time listening to music but the earbuds blocked out a lot of noise, which allowed me to nap.

My own pillow from home. I don't sleep well unless I have my own pillow. I used a printed pillowcase so that I would not forget and leave it behind.

A lightweight robe for strolling around the halls.

Big sweatpants - I am ordinarily a size small but I bought a few pairs of large sweatpants knowing that my belly would be sore and swollen for a while.

Slip on sneakers or shoes - so you don't need to bend forward to tie your laces.

Best of luck to you as you move forward in this very exciting journey!

Laura

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:41:23 AM »
Hey Julie!  Some of my items are the same as Laura's...

1) Light weight robe to walk around in (a true MUST have)
2) My own small, light weight blanket (it was just nice to have something to cuddle with anywhere I went.  It really became my "security blanket")
3) My own pillow from home
4) CHAPSTICK!!!!!!!!
5) Ear plugs (noisy hospital)
6) Hair ties (I have really long hair)
7) Slippers or light duty shoes that are easy to just slip on
8) Baby wipes were nice and refreshing to have around too.  I would get really hot in the hospital bed, and it was nice to have something cool to wipe my face with that was also cleansing

...I'll ponder this and see if I can remember anything else! :)

Sarah
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:09 PM »
I really didn't bring a lot or want for much. Only 1 item glad I brought - my robe to cover my bare butt when walking the halls!
Wish I had brought:
1. Chapstick (seems to top everyone's list!)
2. My own toothbrush (the cheap one they give you sheds bristles!)
3. My inhaler (the breathing tube bothered by asthma and had to wait while they got me one from
      the pharmacy)
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline upnover

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 01:29:01 PM »
Definately ear plugs and some nice tunes to listen to. I found a great CD by the Brooklyn Tabernacle choir that made things easier for me. Sweat pants for going home for sure

Oh and just remeber Murphy's law is at the hospital as well. What you need right away will be out of reach! Plus when people come to visit they will move your stuff then forget to put it back. I wished I had one of those grabber deals for picking up garbage.

Good Luck

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 01:46:35 PM »
The top thing I brought was my husband. I can't imagine being in a hospital for any surgery without a friend or family member to advocate for me.

A small soft pillow to hold against my belly where the incision was also helped.

Good luck,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 02:21:29 PM »
Good point Sherri!  Having my boyfriend there with me through the first night, and all the time he spent there, was an amazingly important aspect of doing well in the hospital for me too.  Also, my dad, mom, brother, step-dad and other family and friends were there every day too.  That was the most helpful thing, without a doubt.
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 03:46:03 PM »
Here's my list;

I brought and found useful;

1.  Sweatpants (no zippers, lightweight and comfy) and food falls right off of them for the most part
2.  My ipod - forgot the ear buds though - ho hum.
3.  Sneakers - my wife tied them and I liked having non-skid souls as they were constantly polishing hallway floors
4.  My wife - she helped immeasurably as support, tying my shoes (above), reaching things and someone to talk to
5.  My dignity - that was missing in action somewhere between the morning of surgery and the time I had my catheter out  :o

Things I wish I would have brought

1.  A more sensitive person to pull my catheter out
2.  Earbuds for my ipod (water under the bridge though now)
3.  Sweatpants that actually fit me (spent my walking time with one hand on my I.V. tree and the other holding my pants up)
4.  Extra DIGNITY - nothing more humbling than waking up naked and having marker drawings all over your body and tubes coming from your privates  :-\
5.  My own pillow

Scott 8)
Scott

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »
What I am glad I brought:

My Bible
My good walking shoes
My bathrobe
My sense of humor...
My cell phone

What I wish I had ALSO brought:

a couple of good books
A small transistor radio
A camera (would love to have some pictures NOW, even though I was loathed to the idea THEN).
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 07:56:27 PM »
     Larger-than-usual shoes, pants & underwear for the trip home. Many donors experience bloating, and your regular-size shoes and clothes may be uncomfortable (or unusable!).
   Fr. Pat

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 01:14:29 PM »
Lots of good ideas here.

Definitely agree with the earplugs (hospitals are never completely quiet) and a robe and slippers. Although, before your IV is out, a robe can be problematic, but that is easily solved by asking for a second hospital gown and wearing it backwards over your other one (full butt coverage :)).

If you are bringing an MP3 player (recommended), look into putting an audio book or two on it. I am a devoted reader, but just didn't feel up to actually reading much. But I did enjoy listening to (and falling asleep to) Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol (it was December) through my headphones. That was especially nice when I was in a double room with a really loud and obnoxious roommate.

Your own toiletries. Hospital air was really drying for me, plus I was washing my hands frequently with their harsh soap. I had lip balm, but forgot to bring lotion. My mom's lotion was scented, the hospital-provided lotion was scented (and I was slightly nauseous for the first 2 days), and my hands were so dry and uncomfortable. Finally my mother-in-law went out to buy me some unscented lotion. I will never forget how comforting that was!

Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 02:52:42 PM »
Wow - these are great suggestions...from earplugs and a robe to my loved ones!  I am still in a state of shear excitement and tremendous nervousness...it is such a strange feeling/emotion to be in - not bad at all, just different than anything I have ever experienced!

Thank you - this forum continues to bring so much comfort.
-j
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 05:34:05 PM »
I agree with everything on here, especially my own pillow.  I brought mine to Chicago from California!

One thing my family always has in the hospital is a box of See's Candies.  It's for the nursing/hospital staff.  We leave it open on a nearby shelf in the patient's room, not so close that the smell of chocolate bothers the patient when he/she isn't feeling well.  Whenever someone comes in, we encourage them to have a piece.  We find the staff is much quicker about taking care of the patient if they know there's chocolate available.

We've been doing it for 30+ years and it never fails.

When my daughter had back surgery at age 19, we brought boxes of candy to the pre-op ward, the post-op ward and the floor staff after she was discharged.  They took such good care of her, we wanted to thank them.  She ended up going back two years later for another back surgery and they remembered us.   :)  Now we try to have a little something for the nursing staff at discharge, to say thanks.
audrey

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 05:54:32 PM »
Dove Pink Bar Soap. 
A really good rich lotion
Heating pad
iPad with netflix
quarters for the machines
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional