| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Burning incision  (Read 10847 times)

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
Burning incision
« on: April 21, 2012, 07:50:58 AM »
I am having a bad sunburn type feeling around my incision, has anyone else experienced this??

DESPERATE for relief & looking for suggestions.   (would aloe help?)

It's been 18 days since surgery, had my 2 week check, so I know it's not infected.

Thanks a bunch!!

Offline jennybebopper

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Burning incision
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »
Didn't have this particular problem, but I have sensitive skin and hydrocortisone is a lifesaver.  It's a temporary solution, and only if it's a skin problem, like with a rash/itching.  I know a lot of people have talked about various nerve sensations as things start to heal.  Heating pad? 

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 10:24:02 PM »
Did you have glue on the incision?  Some get allergic to it and it can take about this long to show up.  If so, benadryl tablets, cool washcloths layed on the incision.  The skin could be dry, use some really good non-perfumed and non alcohol lotion around the incision, but not on the incision.  Hope you get some relief,  best wishes,  Janice
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 07:16:51 AM »
I do have glue......Never thought of having an allergy.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
Yep, I got itchy and red around my incision...hydrocortisone cream worked for me, too.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:58:06 AM »
Dear midwestgal, 

I had a similar reaction to the adhesive dressing over my incision, it itched like mad! It didn't spread past where the dressings had been, so I wasn't worried.

If I had a rash that became widespread or painful I would make sure to show it to the doctor. 

love, elephant

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 05:15:01 PM »
So did you get some relief?  Please let us know.

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 08:16:04 AM »
OK......this is not going to help the guys much, but it is helping me a good deal.......

snug fitting, high rise undergarmets ("granny panties") are keeping my clothes from rubbing against my incision and have helped tremendously with the burning.   Sorry..... I know it's silly;).......but it's the best solution I have found.  Tried lotion & oil, which did help a bit, but not as much.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 03:08:25 PM »
I covered my incision with loose gauze for a while to prevent the chafing and to absorb some of the seepage that I had for a few weeks.

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 05:48:21 PM »
Hey, what ever works!  Maybe the glue was getting irritated with the catching on some fabrics.  Glad you got some relief.

Offline alyfaye

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 06:39:41 PM »
I had the same issue up until about 3.5 weeks after surgery and having something like gauze or tight pants pressed against the incision helped me as well. I'm finally able to wear normal pants without some sort of bandage or gauze but still no jeans. Happy healing!

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 08:29:26 AM »
Alyfaye:
Curious....How long has it been since your surgery? 
I am at 3.5 weeks now & already tired of sweatpants:(
Too afraid to try anything at this point, though.
When did you try other pants?

Offline alyfaye

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »
Midwestgal,

I am at 1 month today (Wow, I should call my recipient!). I am sick of the sweatpants as well. I usually wear yoga pants when I go out but I just can't do jeans yet. Where is your main incision? Mine is right at my panties line, maybe a little lower, and it's right where the bulky zipper and button are. They dug into the incision area when I sat down. I also have a hematoma that is making my jeans feel tighter.

I tried putting jeans on at a little over 3 weeks and it was pretty uncomfortable. They made the area around my incision very painful to the touch for two days and I haven't worn them since. I may try again this week.

Wear some jeans around the house for a few minutes and if it's uncomfortable you may just need to wear sweatpants for a little while longer to give yourself more time to heal.

Congratulations on officially becoming a donor!
Alyssa

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 07:53:18 AM »
Thanks Alyssa!

I think we are just days apart on our donations......
April 3rd......Tuesday will be one month for me:)

My incision is veritcal, right below my bellybutton, right where the zipper would be:(
I think I will learn from your experence & wait a while longer.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Congratulations to you, as well!!!!!
   Terry

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »
When you put on jeans, cover the incision somehow...I used gauze and tape, or a few times, ahem, feminine supplies. Made a big difference and I did that for quite a while.

Luckily I had lost 5 lbs, so the jeans weren't too tight, but they still rubbed.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved