| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: One week later  (Read 10032 times)

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
One week later
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:57:13 AM »
I am now a living kidney donor, as of July 15, 2011,  I am doing really well and so is my sister.  What a trip; I can't believe it has already been a week.  The human body is quite miraculous how it is able to heel.  The first couple days were of course rough, but improves daily.  I did not have any complications so am very grateful!  Gas has been my biggest issue!  First CO2 - horrible pain on the day following surgery - took a few days for that to go away.  Now my GI is fighting to become normal.  I didn't get released until Tuesday (surgery Friday) because it took that long to "pass gas."  Funny how surgery gives you an open invitation to talk about gas and poop!  I have no appetite and have to make myself eat a little each day.  I am still not at all "regular" and my tummy doesn't feel well at all.  I stopped taking pain meds and went to Tylenol the other day to help end the constipation.  Please send any other suggestions...I am drinking tons of water and taking stool softeners.

My husband and kids fly home to Seattle tonight and I will spend another week in Michigan before I fly home.  I will miss them but look forward to a lot of quiet and naps!

More to come...thanks for all the support - I can't tell you how much it helped get through this process.  and "YAYAYAY" - it feels GREAT to be on the other side!

Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: One week later
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 11:40:47 AM »
Congratulations and welcome to the club! Your story sounds similar to my experience. Also stayed about 4 days in the hospital. Gas pains, very bloated feeling so I ate little bits at a time. Took about 3 weeks for my appetite to come back and then unfortunately my body returned to its comfortable weight and I now have to work very hard at losing it. My BMI does not want to be 25. One of the more frustrating health aspects for me. Glad your sister is doing well. And I agree, it is wonderful to be on the other side.

All the best in your recuperation. Take it easy and let your body heal. Don't do too much at once. Your body will let you know.

Take care,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

APV

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »
Congratulations Julie!  It's great to hear you  are doing well.  The first 3 weeks are the hardest, but you will notice each day from now on that things get better little by little.  I also could not eat very much for the first two weeks, but now that I am at 6 weeks  post-op I can tell you that my appetite is back to normal.  I lost about 5 pounds after surgery because of the lack of appetite... I am working on gaining those pounds back. :D

I started to get frustrated at about 4 weeks because I was feeling too well to be doing nothing, but not well enough to be back to normal.  I think the 4th week was the hardest for me emotionally.  Today is 6 weeks post-surgery and i wish I had known (or trusted) that I would feel SO good.  My advice to you would be to just let your body dictate how much you can do.  You are not on a schedule to feel better.  If it takes you longer it's fine.  If it takes you less, that is fine too.   

Get lots of rest!
Angelica

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »
Thanks for the update Julie and WOO HOO, well done!!!!!!

My surgery is one month from today.  I KNOW I'm going to have major gas and constipation afterwards, because I have it everyday.  Maybe that's good, I'm kinda used to it.  (Experienced donors will probably say at this point, ala Crocodile Dundee, "You think that's gas?  THIS is gas!")  

I don't know if it actually helps with constipation, but at least a heating pad feels good.

Don't worry.  It will all "come out" all right.

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 01:21:27 PM »
Hey Julie - hope each day gets better. I am so happy you and your sister are doing well!  :)
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 01:30:53 PM »
Congratulations, Julie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang in there!!!!  I'm so happy you both are doing well. Do nap. Walk when you can. Milk of Magnesia really helped me but everyone finds different things do it for them.  Oh, that was a different surgery that that helped with...with the kidney i over did the stool softeners. I don't really recommend going that route but I was cleaned out for sure. ha!  Maybe the MoM will help?

Our bodies are the coolest things ever. Congratulations and thank you so much for your gift!!!!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »
It will be good to be home! Congratulations and may your recovery be quick!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline CARas

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 04:51:17 PM »
I can relate even though I have not donated a kidney. I had a c-section when my labor wasn't progressing and my daughter was stuck in the birth canal. The nurse had to push her back so she could be pulled out through the incision. I had problems with gas and my bowels didn't work for several days after I got home.

I went in on Thursday night she was born Friday afternoon and we went home on Tuesday. I had to hug a pillow anytime coughed or laughed. It took a while before I returned to normal. But the body is an amazing thing and I truly want to give this gift of a kidney.

best wishes to all who have donated and are now recovering. Slow and steady and don't try to do too much too fast

Cathy

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »
Congratulations Julie!!

I am so glad to hear that you and your sister are doing so well - that is fantastic news! I too had quite a few gas pains after surgery and also was in the hospital for 4 days. Switching to Tylenol should help you with the constipation. Also drinking a lot of water and walking as you feel up to it may help get things moving too. I have heard that prune juice can help. Not sure if you want to go that route as I am not sure it is the tastiest of choices. :-\

Please keep us posted how you progess and again, a huge congratulations to you and your Sister! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 02:23:17 AM »
     Congratulations to you both!
     Prune juice, and also yogurt, may be helpful. If you don't like the prune juice taste/texture, mix it with other friut juices (or try the yummy prune juice/vodka delight.)
        Fr. Pat

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 07:30:53 AM »
I highly recommend prunes and a heating pad.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions and support. Good news is the constipation issue has been resolved and the incision pain has really gotten better.

New issue: along with the lack of appetite is severe nausea. It actually kept me awake last night. I haven't had any pain meds (tyenelol)  since 4am so hoping that all the drugs will soon be out of my body soon.

Funny how most of my discomfort has been tummy/GI related!

Thanks!
Julie
July 15, 2011

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 08:42:23 PM »
Congratulations Julie, I know it feels so GREAT to be on the other side!! :)
I know you said you want to have all the drugs out of your system, but I wanted to make a suggestion.  I also had a lot of nausea following the operation, the hospital gave me something called Zofran.  This stuff is A M A Z I N G !!!  It doesn't cause constipation, it doesn't make you tired, and it takes away nausea in about 10 - 15 minutes.  Simply amazing, it really improved the healing process for me.
I'm now 11 weeks out (crazy how fast time goes by!) and I'm feeling really good.  Angelica, I can relate to what you're saying about feeling too good to not do anything, but not good enough to go back to normal, that was very frustrating for me too!
Anyway, congrats Julie, and you just take your time getting back to normal and enjoy this little bit of down time :)

Sarah
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »
Sarah - Yes, I have some Zofran and it has improved my life immensely!

Sunday morning I was so sick I decided I should call the transplant team; I couldn't bear another day/night of the nausea.  My surgeon asked me to go to the ER as a precaution - take blood, x-ray and get some meds. So...I spent my Sunday in the ER - they found a more than usual amount of "free air" left in my abdomen.  This then concerned them since at day 9 it should have all been absorbed.  So, on to a CAT scan to make sure there wasn't a leak from somewhere that could have resulted from surgery.  That was scary to hear as I knew it meant back into surgery if they found anything.  Thankfully the scan came back normal...no leak, I am just slow to absorb the gas (this recovery has been all about GAS!)  My surgeon admitted me back to the hospital to stay overnight to get the nausea under control and to observe and make sure they didn't miss anything.  I received a warm welcome back on the transplant floor - all the nurses and staff were amazing.  As disappointing as it was to go back to the hospital it was a relief to feel better (Zofran via IV = very quick relief.)

I am back home at my dad's and feel SO much better...the incision site is healing so well there is only some tenderness.

YAY - feels good to be me again!
Julie
July 15, 2011

Terryw

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 07:07:08 AM »
Hi Jewels,

I wish you good health to both of you and hopefully I wont be far off joining the club and getting my brother healthy.

Best wishes  ;D

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional