| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: OPTN Comment due 12/23/11: #10: Living Donor Medical Evaluation  (Read 12899 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
OPTN Comment due 12/23/11: #10: Living Donor Medical Evaluation
« on: September 20, 2011, 09:34:19 AM »
All comment solicited:
http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/policiesAndBylaws/publicComment/proposals.asp

This proposal:
http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/PublicComment/pubcommentPropSub_295.pdf

Exhibit:
http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/PublicComment/pubcommentPropSurveyExhibit_38.pdf

Precis:
Living Donor Committee: Proposal To Establish Requirements for the Medical Evaluation of Living Kidney Donors 
This proposal would establish policy requirements for the medical evaluation of living kidney donors. This proposal is in response to a directive from the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), and based on recommendations from a Joint Societies Steering Committee composed of representatives of the American Society of Transplantation (AST); the American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS) and the North American Transplant Coordinators Organization (NATCO) to the Living Donor Committee.

Please read the two pdf files and discuss them in this thread.  If you are moved to formally submit your comments at http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/policiesAndBylaws/publicComment/submitYourComment.asp?PropID=319 , please consider providing a copy here.  Thanks!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: OPTN Comment due 12/23/11: #10: Living Donor Medical Evaluation
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:36:27 AM »
http://communication.unos.org/2011/08/fall-2011-regional-business-meetings-schedule/

Fall 2011 Regional Business Meetings Schedule

Here’s the schedule of upcoming fall 2011 regional business meetings, where transplant professionals can participate in discussions and learn about regional business, committee activity, and policy and bylaw proposals that are out for public comment. All UNOS members are welcome. There is no registration fee and no need to pre-register.

• Region 6 Business Meeting: September 23, 2011 in Honolulu, HI
• Region 1 Business Meeting: September 26, 2011 in Worcester, MA
• Region 10 Business Meeting: September 30, 2011 in Dayton, OH
• Region 9 Business Meeting: October 12, 2011 in Albany, NY
• Region 7 Business Meeting: October 14, 2011 in Chicago, IL
• Region 3 Business Meeting: October 14, 2011 in Atlanta, GA
• Region 11 Business Meeting: October 14, 2011 in Atlanta, GA
• Region 2 Business Meeting: October 28, 2011 in Philadelphia, PA
• Region 4 Business Meeting: December 2, 2011 in Houston, TX
• Region 8 Business Meeting: December 2, 2011 in Kansas City, MO
• Region 5 Business Meeting: December 15, 2011 in Las Vegas, NV

Visit the UNOS Calendar on www.unos.org  for more information or contact the UNOS administrator responsible for your region.

• Regions 1,4,9: Shannon Edwards – Shannon.Edwards@unos.org
• Regions 2, 6, 8: Betsy L. Gans – Betsy.Gans@unos.org
• Regions 5, 7, 10: Chrystal Graybill – Chrystal.Graybill@unos.org
• Regions 3, 11: Clifton McClenney – Clifton.McClenney@unos.org

FYI, here's a link to the regional map for those who don't know which one they're in.  Do try to attend, and identify yourself to the Regional Counselor, who will chair the meeting.  http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/latestData/stateData.asp?type=region
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »
FYI, I plan to attend Monday's Region 1 meeting.  See you there?
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:41:19 PM »
What a difference from the first run around the block with this!  Passed without dissent, discussion, or comment in Region 1 today.
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:50:19 AM »
I've received some informal feedback about the public comment received to date and it can be summarized in two words: sparse and negative.  Don't let this be all that the committee and the board sees!  Get your comments in, attend the regional meetings, be a visible witness!  There's time to get your comments in, but the regional meetings are upon us.
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:47:41 AM »
The Albany meeting is tomorrow, and more regional meetings are coming up thick and fast.  Anybody attending? This proposal is rewritten and coming around for the second time in formal development as HHS made clear that a "voluntary guideline" was not adequate to meet the standard set in the 2006 Federal Register announcement that the OPTN would henceforth develop living donations policy with the same rigor and process as had been standard for deceased donation.  This will be policy, if adopted by the board, and OPTN members not in compliance may be censured, potentially losing CMS funding.  Is it complete?  Correct?  Enough?  Too much?  Do you want it?  Our presence at these regional meetings is noted, often formally by the chair if you introduce yourself before the meeting.  It is harder for them to vote against these proposals with us in the room.  Do attend.  Do tell us about your experience.  Thanks.
Proud grandpa!

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 08:32:31 AM »
Clark,

Thanks very much for your careful & well-expressed observations.  I assume you and other LDOers will send comments to UNOS as public comments.  I & other members of the Living Donor Committee who are faithful readers [and sometimes posters] of LDO will bring all comments posted on LDO to our meeting as well.

Anyone else with comments?

Bill
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:37:09 AM by WilliamLFreeman »
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »
So, anybody been to a meeting?  Submitted comments?
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »
Just about a month left to concentrate your thoughts and get your public comments in!
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
OPTN Comment due 12/23/11: #10: Living Donor Medical Evaluation
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 08:59:24 PM »
Due Friday!
Proud grandpa!

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 03:23:59 PM »
Comments submitted:

I support this proposal as an acceptable first step.  I recommend immediate adoption and rapid implementation, with full compliance required, and regular audits to confirm compliance.  Note that as a first step toward compliance with HHS requirements regarding living donation it is welcome, long overdue, and will need to be revisited and updated regularly and often.  I am aware that medical, psychiatric, social services, and insurance professionals who are also living donors have offered recommended improvements to the details of this proposal.  I urge close attention to these recommendations and incorporation of them immediately or in near term updates.

(Identity slug.)
Proud grandpa!

Offline livingdonor101

• Top 50 poster!
    • Living Donor 101
www.livingdonor101.com - Where Living Donors Matter Most.

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 03:28:38 PM »
Part of my submitted comments [long]   Bill

SUMMARY:  I strongly support adopting / approving the Proposal.  However, I propose a few minor modifications, as given below.

A.  "EXCLUSION CRITERIA"  NOTE:  Could the clinical precision or nuance of three listed items be improved?
   1] "Diabetes."  Proposed modification:
Type 1, type 2, gestational, or active forms of other types of diabetes, using the diagnostic criteria in the latest American Diabetes Association standards of medical care in diabetes published every January.
[NOTE: the 2012 ADA "Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes--2012" are found at:  http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/Supplement_1.toc .  The Diagnostic Criteria for the diagnosis of diabetes are found in:  http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/Supplement_1/S64.full .]
   2] "Evidence of donor coercion."  Proposed modification:
1]  Active external coercion on the donor that adversely affects the potential donor's decision-making capacity and ability to give truly-informed, true, consent and to refuse to donate, or 2] coercion with evidence of a potential donor's serious reservation to be a donor.
[Evidence of coercion by others applied to the potential donor by itself is not sufficient to exclude that potential donor; many families in possible intra-family donation exert that "coercion" even if inadvertently.  Rather, the concern should be whether the potential donor's free decision is being changed against her/his true desires.]
   3] "Untreated psychiatric conditions, including suicide risk."  Proposed modification:
Unresolved or presently active psychiatric conditions that potentially adversely affects either:  1] the potential donor's informed consent decision-making capacity; or  2] the potential donor's likely emotional response to donation.
[The issue is not whether the psychiatric condition is untreated (some conditions do not need treatment) or treated (some conditions in some people remain problematic for donation even while under treatment).  The issue is whether the current situation has a likely adverse impact on the donation.]

B.  "RELATIVE CONTRAINDICATIONS." NOTE:  Could the clinical precision or nuance of several listed items be improved?
   1] "History of cancer, including metastatic."  Proposed modification:
History of cancer, either metastatic or without standard oncologic-acceptable evidence of cure.
[For instance, non-metastatic prostate cancer treated for cure with undetectable PSAs, and cervical cancer including CIN I to CIN III treated to cure and no evidence of recurrence for 5 years, should not be Relative Contraindications.]
   2] "Creatinine clearance or isotopic GFR greater than 1 standard deviations below the mean for age and gender."  Proposed modification.
Creatinine clearance or isotopic GFR greater than 1 standard deviation below the mean for age and gender (that is, less than the 34th percentile), in ['a potential kidney donor' vs. 'the general'] population, given in [cited  reference].
[The item as written does not specify the population of reference, or the citation where the age-gender-specific GFR values are found.  One study gave age-specific mean GFR +/- 1 standard deviation; it was in a population of potential living organ donors.  I believe that is the appropriate reference population.  The item should also give the actual publish reference.  I recommend the article, Berg Ulla B.  Differences in decline in GFR with age between males and females: Reference data on clearances of inulin and PAH in potential kidney donors.  Nephrol Dial Transplant (2006) 21: 2577-82.]
   3] "Impaired fasting glucose with other features of the metabolic syndrome in a donor younger than age 50." Proposed modification.
Potential donor in Categories of Increased Risk for Diabetes, with the laboratory criteria in the latest American Diabetes Association standards of medical care in diabetes published every January, and either:  1] with other features of the metabolic syndrome in a donor younger than age 50 [specify reference]; or  2] the potential donor's increased risk has not been controlled/resolved to achieve normoglycemia. 
["Categories of Increased Risk for Diabetes" include more than impaired fasting glucose.  The reference citations are the same as above.]
   4] "Hypertension in a Caucasian younger than age 50."  Proposed modification:
Hypertension in a Caucasian younger than age 50, or prior history of hypertension not now normotensive without drug treatment by 24+ hour home/ambulatory blood pressure monitor.
[Some people adopt a low salt, high exercise, life-style and the hypertension resolves.  The measurement to determine resolution should be by 24+ hour ambulatory blood pressure.]
   5] "Hypertension in a Caucasian greater than age 50 on more than one anti-hypertensive medication."  Proposed modification.
Hypertension in a Caucasian greater than age 49 on more than one anti-hypertensive medication AND not now normotensive by 24+ hour home/ambulatory blood pressure monitor.
[Note that in the original wording, this and the prior Relative Contraindication together did not refer to a 50 year old potential donor.]
   6] "Hypertension in a racial or ethnic groups at elevated risk at any age."  Proposed modification.
Hypertension in a racial or ethnic groups at elevated risk at any age.
[NOTE:  If the relative contraindications for hypertension in Caucasians are adopted, should a related change albeit stricter be added to this one about non-Caucasians?]

C.  "RELATIVE CONTRAINDICATIONS"
The proposal stated that "recommended relative contraindications [not be] included as background information," because they could not be included as policy.  I agree.  But it is possible to include in the policy something like the following:
Living kidney donation with a donor with any Relative Contraindication requires a full, written, justification for the Center, potential donor, and potential recipient to proceed to donation.  That justification must include an assessment of the medical risk and medical benefit of the donation and transplantation, and done by the transplant center(s) conducting the donor's nephrectomy and recipient's transplantation.  That justification must also include documentation of fully informed consent by both the potential donor and potential recipient that includes their understanding of that medical risk-benefit assessment in lay language.

D.  GENERAL ADDITIONS.
   1]   I recommend that these standards be given to all potential donors who continue to be considered after the first basic initial screening steps.  These standards should be expressed in lay language.  The document should have simple tables giving the values when relevant.  (For instance, the ADA laboratory criteria for diagnosis of diabetes could be given in a table, as could the age-sex-specific mean GFR and 34th percentile (one standard deviation below the mean).  I recommend that every Center be required to give every potential donor and recipient this lay language version.

2]   The current process of proposed standards and policies being developed by the Joint Society Policy Steering Group is excellent.  One concern, however, is that for standards and policies related to Living Donors, a group representing living donors themselves are not in either that Steering Group or in the later process of development and issuing the standards and policies.
   I recognize that the Living Donor Committee (LDC) has living donors and is involved in the process thereafter; I am a living donor member of the LDC.  I also recognize that individual living donors can comment on the proposed standards and policies during the public comment period.  And, I recognize there is not yet a group composed of living donors in which those living donors themselves choose their representatives to be involved in this process.
   If living donors form such a group, I strongly recommend that UNOS then formally incorporate that group into the process of development, as the "stakeholder" with the special expertise of having been a living donor.  The representatives of that group would supplement quite well the expertises of living donor members of the LDC -- just as the Joint Society Policy Steering Group supplements the expertises of the ATS, ASTS, NATCO, OPTN/UNOS, and HRSA members of the LDC.
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline donor99

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »
There were two living donors who participated in the joint societies work group. Myself as a rep from NATCO and one other donor.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved