| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: tested positive for Epstein Barr virus - can I donate kidney?  (Read 14685 times)

ejonshult

tested positive for Epstein Barr virus - can I donate kidney?
« on: February 07, 2012, 09:23:45 PM »
Hi,

I just found out today that I have an active Epstein Barr virus infection.  I guess the test is called EBV IgG Antibody test.  I guess it's mono.  Can I still donate?

I'm kind of bummed since I was counting on donating.  I tried searching online and I found out that 90% of adults have the Epstein Barr virus, but I guess I have an active infection.

Anyone know anything about this issue?

Thanks,
Eva

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Re: tested positive for Epstein Barr virus - can I donate kidney?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 11:11:30 PM »
I think that you'd be able to donate if the recipient already had EBV antibodies.
This is an older article, not sure if there's new info since this http://www.transplantliving.org/community/news.aspx?id=367
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: tested positive for Epstein Barr virus - can I donate kidney?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:26:28 AM »
They should test for both EBV and CMV (cytomegalovirus) in both you and your recipient. As Karol said, both of these are very common viruses that most individuals have as children, and in many cases not realize it. They are both like the chicken pox virus in that you never get rid of it - it just goes into hiding. They test not with an eye to dismiss you as a donor, but as protection for your recipient. Because of the immunosuppressants, if the recipient has not had either of the viruses, the potential exists for them sero-convert form your kidney if you have tested positive. Both viruses can be more of a problem to them as an adult and immunosuppressed individual. The transplant team needs to be aware if your recipient is negative so they can look for signs and properly control the virus after transplant. My husband and I were both EBV positive, but I was CMV positive and he was CMV negative. For 9 months after transplant he took an anti viral (Valcyte) to keep the CMV at bay. They knew he would get CMV -that they could not control. So what they did control was the timing and get him farther out from transplant- once the anti viral was stopped, he started exhibiting CMV symptoms and they then began to work with his medication to control control the virus and put it "back in hiding".
Hope this eases your mind, Eva.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional