| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: We lost him  (Read 15713 times)

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
We lost him
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:02:08 AM »
HI all.  I'm sorry to say that my dad didn't make it.  The kidney was working great, but his heart gave out last night.

I feel numb at the moment, I'm sure I will run a gambit of emotions.  If anyone here has had a similar experience, please message me.

Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: We lost him
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 07:19:10 AM »
Dear "MissFrizz",
     I'm very sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for him, and he had the joy of knowing you cared that much. Be kind to yourself now.
       Fr. Pat

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 07:20:32 AM »
I am so sorry for your loss. My sympathies to you and your family.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 07:29:23 AM »
Stephanie,

I am so so sorry for your loss. I just reread some of your original posts. I remember your family's story and how much angst there was involved in your decision to donate because of some of the family dynamics. I hope you know you did what you set out to do. You gave your Dad a chance for a better life. Unfortunately, his body was not able to sustain this gift. This was not anything you or anyone else did or didn't do.

You are still close out from surgery so I hope you take this time to concentrate on your recuperation and on leading a healthy life. I hope the good memories you have of your Dad will bring you comfort. Your gave him, yourself and your children a wonderful gift. I'm sorry that it wasn't able to unfold the way we had all prayed for.

Please keep us posted here and let us know how you are coping. There are many others who have lost their recipients and of course in that process a part of themselves. Make sure you get the emotional support you need from the transplant center or from other professionals who can help you work through the grieving process.

All the best,

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 07:40:32 AM »
Oh no, I am so, so sorry.  :'(

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 07:41:02 AM »
Dear MissFrizz,

I'm saddened to hear that you lost your dear father.  I've been crying for you and pray for your consolation.  Your Dad went forth surrounded by love.

love, elephant

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 09:12:02 AM »
Best wishes. Our hearts go out to you and your loved ones. Take care.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 11:11:42 AM »
Very sorry to hear of your loss

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »
Thank you.
Stephanie

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 09:15:27 PM »
I too am sorry for your loss.  Please take care.  Janice
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 04:11:21 PM »
 :'( Dear Stephanie,
Oh no! I am surprised to hear this. So very sorry for you and your family.
Best wishes and {{warm hugs}}
My deepest sympathy,
Karol
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 04:55:59 PM »
Stephanie-I am so sad that this happened. You are an incredible, selfless woman who gave your dad a wonderful gift. I hope you take the time you need to grieve and heal.
Many people will be praying for you.
Lauri

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 09:27:04 PM »
I keep waiting for it to hit me and it hasn't.  People say I am in shock.  But, is it possible that I feel at peace with everything?  That he knew he was loved and I gave him a gift that maybe didn't turn out the way we thought, but he had the gift of hope and the story to tell.  I see many blessings that occurred in the last month - a new peace between him and my mother, the grace of God that allowed me to see him just before he passed.  His heart just stopped without warning - it was simply his time.  I expect that the funeral will be difficult.  But, for now... peace or shock?
Stephanie

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 10:49:45 PM »
Stephanie,

I am so, so very sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. You did everything you possibly could to help him, and I am confident he died knowing how very much you love him.

As far as peace or shock, it is probably both. It sounds like you are well aware of the many positives that came from you donating to your Dad, including a new peace between your parents. You also more than likely are in shock - this is not the ending anyone wants or envisions. We all know it can happen, but we all go in to this hoping and praying, and usually believing it will not actually happen to us. You have been through so much in such a short time. You had to go through the decision to donate, then the surgery and now the loss of your Dad. That is a lot for a person to go through.

Please continue to reach out to your friends and family for support. You are a strong person and will get through this. Please know your friends on the donor board are here for you as well. Keep us updated how you are doing. I am keeping you and your entire family in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs and more hugs to you.

Linda
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:56:45 PM by Aries7 »
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 02:09:56 AM »
Dear "MissFrizz",
     As Linda has well said above, Peace and shock can both be present. But as you deal with loss and shock, both now and at the funeral, don't be afraid to accept the gift of peace as well. We all die sooner or later, and to die surrounded by love, and knowing that someone cared so much as to give an organ in trying to help, is not a bad way to go. Many people lose a loved one suddenly, and then think "If only I had time now to express my love and make peace!" You accepted a beautiful opportunity to express love and to work through difficulties. Now accept peace.
      Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional