| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New member - a little overwhelmed!  (Read 15210 times)

Offline MariainDC

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: New member - a little overwhelmed!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 06:19:21 PM »
So I made my decision - I will go with the second hospital. The coordinator is wonderful, they have a living donor advocate (which I have heard is really important) and they are a larger program.

I have gotten so much help this week - first I spoke to a living donor in  NY on Sunday, then Monday I had lunch with Bill Freeman, and yesterday I talked to the donor buddy I got through this website. We live only miles from each other and she knows both hospitals well. Turns out we are the same age, too, and she has offered to be with me through the process! She was SO nice and seemed very excited about this.

So I sent an email to the hospital just now and told the coordinator about my decision. Very excited!! Of course, trying to not get too excited, since anything could happen - I could not get approved, or I could have something hidden that I don't know about, etc. etc...

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
So MariannDC, where did you decide to donate? So nice that you have the opportunity to choose and have surgery on your own terms. Glad to hear the coordinator has been helpful.

Also great you had a chance to meet with Bill. He is a great resource for donors.

Take care and good luck on your journey.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 04:23:35 AM »
It will be interesting to see how long all this takes.
Good luck!
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline MariainDC

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 05:38:30 PM »
Thank you both! I will start my testing three weeks from today, the day after returning from vacation. Will definitely check in here often!

Offline KidneyHelpPLEASE

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 11:19:21 AM »
I have tried MatchingDonors for YEARS and it is awful! I have sent out over 700 messages and only ONE person got tested and they were turned down! Most people don't even respond to you and even if they do many get scared and then delete their profile!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved