| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: RUN FOR LIFE  (Read 17538 times)

Offline Christine Robinson

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Beside the Quiet Voices
Re: RUN FOR LIFE
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 02:56:29 PM »
Hi Scott,

Great idea!  Love it!

If you haven't done so already, you might consider starting a blog to keep people informed and/or a Facebook page.  Either/both would be great communication tools.

I don't know much about Facebook (even though I have a profile AND use it), but I've been keeping a blog for some time now and would be glad to offer any assistance there, if needed.

This is a great excuse for me to resume a fitness program I'd been so dedicated to (but fell off of) once again.  Thanks for the motivation to get some of us donors back into shape... for a stupendous cause. 

My contact info can be found on my profile.  I'm a writer and would help however I can there.  Definitely in for next June.

And if you already have a blog or Facebook page set up, please let us know where to find it.

Cheers!
Christine Robinson

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 04:39:23 PM »
Nicki,

I spoke to my Transplant Coordinator (Anne) at U of M and she said she thought Dr. Matas would hop at the chance to be involved in some way (great) and she was willing to do some on-camera interviews as well.  Their public info/media people will contact me one day soon and we can talk about that part. 

I'm guessing the recipient up by me was from Carlton, MN?   I know there were some there that were part of a chain.

Thanks for your signing on and help in cultivating some runners.

Scott  8)
Scott

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »
Super Duper!  Gosh I love the folks at the U of M!  Great idea to contact them! I'll email Jen The Media Girl over there too.  The more blabbing and noise we make, the better? tee hee
I've got another recipient who is dreading running but said he'll do it. :) YAY!  There's so much good energy surrounding this! As well as God energy (one and the same!).
Good work and I'm so glad you had this idea!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »
OMG - you guys are awesome.  Thanks Nicki - saw your post that Jen is in.  Great.  Christine - I have my own Facebook page, but setting up a separate Facebook page for this would be great - do you know how to do that (for a cause)?  I know my recipient's family put up a site for finding him a kidney, raising money for his expenses and for keeping people up-dated.

I'm anonymous to everyone but my family, my recipient and his immediate family and; of course, you guys - I'd like to at least try to stay in the background (identity wise) but don't know if I'll be able to pull that off. So if you're willing, I'll take you up on doing whatever you could to help us set up the RUN FOR LIFE Facebook site.  

For participants, I'm working on getting us free or reduced entry fees for the 1/2 marathon.  There's a spaghetti feed at the Duluth Entertainment and Convention Center on Canal Park the night before and the night of the race - I and my wife will host you all for a cook-out either at our house or a local park down the block from us (our treat for our new friends).

My wife Penny is a manager of two Subway stores and we're working on getting corporate sponsorship from them to purchase our designed running jersey's and matching shorts.  Just so happens Subways main color is green (works perfect for gift of life colors).  We'll need to design something for the shirts to deliver our message (if anyone has ideas, let me know).  

I'll contact someone from the National Kidney Foundation, although I think it was you Nicki that said you had some contacts there?  It would be nice to at least get sponsorship in name on our shirts and media release from them.  I know they have some issues with funding recently.  

Regarding lodging, considering you'll all incur some expense getting here, the least we can do is help out with lodging.  For those who want to get their own hotel, lodging is somewhat limited and fills up quickly, so you'd want to make arrangements for next year soon.  Otherwise, I have several really good friends that will surely sponsor you in their homes.  We will make certain you have comfortable accommodations while you're here.  Please let me know that you're alright with that.

Anyway - I'll start arranging most of this and if you guys have ideas, let me know.  Thanks again for your help and participation

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
I am actually
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 10:53:37 PM »
very, very excited about this event next year, Scott!

Whatever I can do to help make sure it is an OVERWHELMING success, please let me know.

Phil Hoover
Chicago
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 11:36:37 AM »
WOWSERS!  Scott, I'm kinda guessing you've been to one of Grandma's marathons before? That was our first time and I really have no words to explain the amount of energy there! WOW! WOW! WOW!  My husband finished in 3h44min and he's completely addicted now and will run again next year, so we will be there in any event! :) Absolutely incredible.
I wonder if there's a way to wiggle ourselves into the attention of the announcers? I know you don't overly care for attention, Scott, but it would be such a great opportunity to reach a large group of people's ears if we were able to! I love blabbing about it, because if a young(-ish) mother of 4 young(-ish) kids can do it, surely most anyone can!
As for jerseys, I did notice that I DID read lots of people's shirts, so I think it would be awesome to have something on them like "I'm running on one kidney" (since that would work for donors and/or recipients who run and it's a great pun, come on!)  and maybe KIDNEY DONOR on the backs? Or vice versa? It'll be fun to come up with these.
Anyways, just had to say-WOW!  That event is full of SO many people and SO many groups and has SO much incredible energy, I had NO IDEA. That is an experience! I can't imagine running it and getting to feel the energy as a participant!
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 11:42:02 PM »
Nicki,

Did you husband run the half?  Great job!   I had to work, but next year (June 16 by the way) will be OUR time!  Christine Dilman Robinson (LDO) helped me out and set up our Facebook site (Grandmas LDO Marathon).     http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grandmas-LDO-Runners/220122981342689

Spread the word the site is up.  Love the "I'm running on one kidney" - I'm guessing we'll have all kinds of great slogans once we really thing about it.  I'm glad you enjoyed our beautiful area, even though the weather wasn't so beautiful. 

I do plan on talking to GRANDMA's about a shout-out and I have a local news anchor that will likely help me with media exposure. 

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 10:22:24 AM »
He actually ran the full marathon!  The people who do that BLOW ME AWAY! That is just such a long way. Talk about stamina. Fr. Pat ---YOU ROCK, you multiple marathon runner, you!
Duluth is gorgeous. We go up (pit stop at Grandma's, and then all the way up to Tofte) 2 times a year...for our anniversary in April and again in the fall because there is no better place to be then! We always talk about exploring the southern shores of the lake but we are so addicted to the trails and our little routine that we haven't done it yet.
Cullen's mom passed just a few weeks ago, and she had so many things wrong with her that she donated her body to the U of M for research purposes. When they are finished, she wants to be sprinkled in Lake Superior. It was a very, very emotional run for Cullen (as well as his brother, who finished 3 minutes ahead of him), running along the lake that she loved so much.
I really think I'm addicted to being there every year, even if it's to "just" cheer the runners on. Astounding stuff there. SO many people!
Sorry, it was kinda a thread-hijack there.  :) I'm still excited and proud of him, and even more excited to be there again next year. I'm going to go check out the facebook page now! (Thanks, CR!!!)
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »
Scott, this something I, my niece-recipient, and some other family members might come up for.  My recipients sister, niece, has done marathons, although she is now pregnant with their first. My son started running in mini's, my daughter and niece-recipient are doing a 5K in Aug. here in Madison.  I'd join them but, I'm babysitting for my daughters littlest one.

If you could pass along some lodging information that would be great. Thanks. Janice 
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 06:00:03 PM »
I'm also considering joining the crew.  I just donated two weeks ago today so running isn't sounding pleasant at the moment but I've always thought it would be great to run a marathon.  This just might be the motivation to start training for one!
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »
Ohhh - I wish I lived closer...it may not be feasible to make it from Seattle.  I am a runner...I have a Half Marathon coming up (2 weeks before donation!)  This sounds like a great event!  I will be cheering from afar...
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 10:22:31 PM »
Jewels,

Seattle - love your City and the PNW.  We would love to see you and have you join us, but praying and rooting from afar is great too.  If you don't make it, I know you be with us in thoughts!  I'm certain we will have plenty of photos to post of the GRANDMA'S LDO RUNNERS facebook site.  Please check in often and I and Christine Robinson will keep everyone up on what's going on with arranging this.  

jstx:  I'm guessing nothing but rest and more rest sounds good right about now.  I do hope you're progressing well. Check out the face book site.  I look forward to meeting you here when we run and all get together afterward.  

Janice:  Sounds great - the babysitting sounds found - Can't wait to have some grand-babies.  My oldest daughter was pregnant earlier this Spring but unfortunately had a miscarriage - was very sad but I suspect she may be pregnant again now and is waiting this time to let every one know, once she a bit further along.   ;D      check out the facebook site  (Grandma's LDO Runners) and I'll like post some of the lodging there.  People making hotel arrangements will want to make them very early (earlier the better) as they fill up quickly.  Also, for those who prefer to save a few $, I am starting to get some commitments from some of my good friends in our police department to be sponsors for runners and will host singles or couples at their homes.  Let us know if you would like to take advantage of that.

Thanks all

Scott 8)
Scott

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 10:24:46 PM »
I found the facebook site and "liked" it!  I'll stay tuned for more info and hopefully will be up to training in time to participate.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 10:29:55 PM »
I'm sure you'll be fine.  I just really started running about three weeks ago and I'm up to 4 miles several times per week and getting read to try 6.  If I can do it, ANYONE can.  It will be great to have you with us.  Remember, we aren't racing, we're just running.

Take care - Scott   8)
Scott

Offline Christine Robinson

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Beside the Quiet Voices
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »
I'm just getting back into running after an entire year off.  I'm documenting my progress on the Grandma's LDO Runners facebook page with the hopes of inspiring.  (Scott, I don't know how to change it so my posts come as "Christine" instead of "Grandma's LDO".) 

In any case, I think it would be cool if others started posting their training progress. A year's worth of milestones, triumphs, highs and lows as we all work toward a common goal: promoting living organ donation. My motto is, "Giving myself the gift of fitness to raise awareness for the Gift of Life."

Corny, I know, but while I was limping along this morning, I kept having to repeat that to myself to keep myself from having a nap in the nearest ditch.  I am so sore!

Loving the objective, though.  L O V ing the objective!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional