| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I want to donate  (Read 3793 times)

Offline bgp818489

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
I want to donate
« on: October 06, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »
  I am seriously considering becoming a donor but have medical questions  considering donors capabilities. I consider myself in good health, but have had issues in the past. I had by-pass surgery 2 years ago, and keep my blood pressure in check with medications. Would these things preclude me from becoming a donor? I am 59 years of age, never involved with drugs and do not smoke. I am O+
Modify message

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: I want to donate
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 06:57:21 PM »
Best wishes. The only way to find out is to contact a transplant center and get started. If you're deferred, ask why, then be up front about your deferral at that center if you choose to persist and seek a different center, potentially with different criteria for acceptance. Please consider letting us know what you learn. Take care.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline donor99

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 09:09:34 AM »
Your cardiac history is an absolute contraindication to living donation. It is doubtful that any program would violate current guidelines to let you donate.

Offline TaroTaoYin

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 04:19:31 AM »
You can easily explain it.I can't do it same you.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved